Thursday, May 02, 2013

May 2nd Reflection by Bill Lynch



John 14:23-29

Jesus answered him, “Those who love me will keep my word, and my Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words; and the word that you hear is not mine, but is from the Father who sent me.

”I have said these things to you while I am still with you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid.

You heard me say to you, ‘I am going away, and I am coming to you.’ If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father, because the Father is greater than I. And now I have told you this before it occurs, so that when it does occur, you may believe.

Reflection
Do you want to see Jesus? Do you want Jesus? You must believe. You must believe in Jesus and what he brings. You must listen to his words and observe his actions and come to know his love. Jesus comes to those who believe. Jesus comes to all of us, but to those who believe, Jesus abides.

Jesus gives us the Advocate, the Holy Spirit to watch over us and remain with us and to gift us and to call us to action. In this, we have peace. This part of the passage is the Paraclete statement. The Holy Spirit helps us to recall, remember, understand and place into action the words and the love of Jesus.

In the peace that Jesus gives we receive a peace that is far different from any peace we think of in a worldly sense. The peace of Jesus has been tested by this world and proven out above any and all things. The peace of Jesus demonstrates a love and an acceptance that releases us from all worry. Jesus leaves us his peace in full but we only believe in part. We continue to worry because of our lack of faith. But, thanks be to God, Jesus leaves the Spirit to guide us in our faith and develop us to move towards that peace that Jesus mentions.

Do you want to see Jesus? Do you want Jesus? You must believe. Believe and trust and place all of your hope and love in God.

Prayer
Lord, forgive me when I worry about so many things that often are simple. Lead me to your Word that I may hear your voice and know your presence and get up and do what you would have me do. In this there is peace. Abide with me... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: