Thursday, November 28, 2013

November 28th Reflection - But by the Toilet??? - by Bill Lynch


Matthew 24:36-44
 ‘But about that day and hour no one knows, neither the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. For as the days of Noah were, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day Noah entered the ark, and they knew nothing until the flood came and swept them all away, so too will be the coming of the Son of Man. Then two will be in the field; one will be taken and one will be left. Two women will be grinding meal together; one will be taken and one will be left. Keep awake therefore, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming. But understand this: if the owner of the house had known in what part of the night the thief was coming, he would have stayed awake and would not have let his house be broken into. Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an unexpected hour.

Reflection - But by the Toilet???
God is great! I mean that... God is great! I love it that there is some mystery involved in the coming of God into our world, our lives and our very selves. I love it that God doesn't reveal every secret. Why do I need to know all of the details anyway? If I truly place all my trust in God, I don't need to be the "Shell Answer Man" and I don't even need to be the "Church Lady." You can Google both of those for yourself for fun.

So why do we love to pretend that we know it all? Why do people think they need to have the answer for everything? Who cares about the specific date and time of Jesus coming? And besides all of that, Jesus comes to me in many ways anyhow. God comes to us in flesh and in spirit. God comes to us and that's plenty for me!

And the fact that God comes to us as individuals and as groups makes for all the joy in life anyway. Just a few weeks ago I was having a Crohn's disease flare. I had become dehydrated and had just taken my night-time medication. I got up to visit my own throne, if you get the drift. On the way around the bed, I felt a little woozy. I just figured I got up from the bed too quickly. By the time I came to the throne, I almost fell into the bathtub. I sat down very quickly on the toilet. The next thing I remember my wife Sue is screaming and yelling at the 911 operator to hurry up and get someone here to our house. When I came to my senses, two paramedics were at my side. I heard one say, "I can't get a pulse." I heard the other say, "I can't get a blood pressure." I heard my mind think, "Well that ain't good!" So as I lay by the throne, I began to say the Lord's Prayer to myself.

Now the last time I remember waking up at the base of a toilet was in Chicago. I was in my early twenties and I know why I was by that toilet... too much to drink! This time I had no idea why I was where I was. But, guess what? I knew that this time, and probably the first time as well, God was with me. I was aware that God was with me in the "crappy" times too. I know it sounds like I'm making fun of it a little, and I am, but I'm serious about knowing God's presence. Even in the mundane things of life, God is with us. And God comes to us when we least expect it. Which brings me back to the passage above.

Today is Thanksgiving Day in the United States. I give thanks for God's presence in the lives of all people. God is with you and with me in those tough times as well as those bounteous times. And especially on this day we can all pause to give God all thanks. A pause that is intentional and meaningful. A thanks for God coming to us in flesh and spirit. In Jesus and the Holy Spirit... in Creator... in Redeemer... in the wonderful gifts of Bread and Wine... in the waters of Baptism... in the presence in the lives of those we have been blessed with past and present and future. Above it all... especially today... Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, it's true... Now is the time... now is the time to repent. Now is the time to turn and run to you. As I run to you, I notice you running even faster towards me. Forgive me and take me into your place and teach me your will and let me do what you would have me do this day. For you come in such wonderful and amazing ways. Thanks for the responsibilities of love you give to me to share with all you give to me. Come, Lord Jesus, come... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: