Monday, November 04, 2013

November 4th Reflection - Redeemer - by Bill Lynch


Job 19:23–27a
‘O that my words were written down!
   O that they were inscribed in a book!
O that with an iron pen and with lead
   they were engraved on a rock for ever!
For I know that my Redeemer lives,
   and that at the last he will stand upon the earth;
and after my skin has been thus destroyed,
   then in my flesh I shall see God,
whom I shall see on my side,
   and my eyes shall behold, and not another.
   My heart faints within me!

Reflection
It's kind of ironic how your position in life, or the circumstances and situations you have just experienced bring a different meaning to biblical passages that present themselves. I had a recent experience that echoed some of the feelings of this passage. They reflected my helplessness and my total dependence on God. Total to the point of my only thoughts were to recite the Lord's Prayer as best as I could recall under the circumstances. There was nothing I could do to save myself. I could only depend on other people and on God's action. But God's presence was overwhelming in the situation.

In this passage, Job is at the depths of illness and despair. Job has listened to his friends give advice and has been charged with actions that Job did not commit to bring on this situation in which Job now finds himself. Out of the depths of helplessness and utter loss, Job rises with faith in God. Even though Job's flesh and heart have given way, Job's faith in God and God's gracious salvation is Job's only hope. Yes, Job knows that his Redeemer lives!

God lives today. God lives in the risen Jesus. God lives in the presence of the Spirit. God lives in the flesh and blood of people that God sends to us in those times we are helpless. God lives in the spirit of the angels that watch over us. God lives in our only hope for salvation, which is Jesus. There is nothing that we can do to earn or gain favor or come to this salvation on our own. God's gift of life is a gift! A gift freely given to all people. The question becomes... will you humble yourself? Will you deny yourself? Will you repent and accept that it is only God that can save you? Will you trust and hope and place all of your faith in the God of all life and salvation?

When it comes down to it... you can't do it! You just can't! And you will finally see God is present. God is present in flesh and spirit. God is present with you when you are at the bottom, when you are on the floor, when you are down and out, with the offering and the plea to place all of your hope and trust and faith in him alone.

I'm with Job on this. I know that my Redeemer lives! I just know it!

Prayer
Thanks for coming, Lord, thanks! You came to each and all of us just when we needed you the most. Thanks.. today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: