Tuesday, September 15, 2009

September 13th-17th - Reflection

Video
http://www.tangle.com/view_video?viewkey=a5e697fe65e6e7bffa75

Readings
Isaiah 12:1-28:13
You will say in that day: I will give thanks to you, O LORD, for though you were angry with me, your anger turned away, and you comforted me. - Isaiah 12:1
2 Corinthians 13:1-13
The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with all of you. - 2 Corinthians 13:13
Galatians 1:1-3:22
...yet we know that a person is justified not by the works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ. And we have come to believe in Christ Jesus, so that we might be justified by faith in Christ, and not by doing the works of the law, because no one will be justified by the works of the law. - Galatians 2:16
Psalms 57:1-61:8
But I will sing of your might; I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning. - Psalms 59:16
Proverbs 23:9-18
Apply your mind to instruction and you ear to words of knowledge. - Proverbs 23:12


Reflection
God heals. God heals in more ways than we can fathom. God heals in ways that we can't understand. God heals in other ways that we can understand.

I remember a childhood friend of mine name Ricky. He died of cancer when I was 6 or 7 years old. I would play with Ricky every day he could play. I can remember talking to Ricky's Mom and she would try to explain to me what was happening to Ricky and why he was tired some days. I didn't fully understand it all. Ricky died after I moved away. Ricky had leukemia. I always carried a school picture of Ricky with me through life. Now it is in some keepsake place at home (I hope I can still find it). But years later, my son Bryan married Becky who had a couple of children. One of the children, Jake, had gone through something similar to what Ricky went through, except Jake didn't die. It's a disease similar but not the same. So God gave the gift of Jake to me. In Jake I see Ricky. I see a childhood friend to play with. A friend to talk to. A friend that can share and knows the pains of this world and the way to live through the pain to find the great joy of life. Joy in the simple, wonderful gifts God has given.

As I read the Word, I see a people that struggle with sin and separation from God. I see a people that struggle with illness and death. But I also see a God who is relentless in taking those who wish to be with Him back. God goes out of his way to bring the healing we need, especially when we give up on ourselves and give to God. God heals in and through the struggles. The struggle may continue until that great day. But for now God still works through us one at a time and in groups together to bring healing to this world. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, I pray for all those in need of healing. Healing in the small and big sense of the word. Bring healing to those I love and to those I don't know. Bring healing and the comfort that only You can bring as we boldly reach out to Your open arms. In Jesus name...Amen

No comments: