Sunday, January 10, 2010

January 10th - Reflection

Reading
The Baptism of Our Lord
Luke 3:15-17, 21-22 (NRSV)

The baptism of Jesus As the people were filled with expectation, and all were questioning in their hearts concerning John, whether he might be the Messiah, John answered all of them by saying, "I baptize you with water; but one who is more powerful than I is coming; I am not worthy to untie the thong of his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. His winnowing fork is in his hand, to clear his threshing floor and to gather the wheat into his granary; but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire." ...

Now when all the people were baptized, and when Jesus also had been baptized and was praying, the heaven was opened, and the Holy Spirit descended upon him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven, "You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased."

Reflection
I love the boldness of John. But more than this, I love how humble John is. One who is more powerful than I is coming! When I go out in my daily life, do my actions and words proclaim that One more powerful than myself is coming? Do I even proclaim that One more powerful is present? I should proclaim the coming of One more powerful. I should be bold enough, yet humble enough to speak words, and display actions, that cause others to wonder who it is that I precede. I should create a curiosity in those people I deal with day after day, as to what motivates my words and actions. I should tell the story of the One I follow who is so powerful! But do I?

John was busy acting. John was busy working and speaking. For me to act and speak, I must listen. I must pause and listen to the call God has given me, for the day, and for life. I must follow. That's why prayer, study and careful listening to, and for, the voice of God is so important. Daily and throughout the day, pause and listen...then act and speak. Let the Light shine boldly through, so that others may see Christ. Then it seems, just as what happened with John, Jesus shows up, and baptism occurs, and the Spirit descends in bodily form on all of us at once. What a vision, what a sight, what a reality, today, tomorrow and forever.

Prayer
This day, Lord, as I stop to pray, study, and listen to Your Voice, may I go boldly and act and speak, and may Your Light shine brightly through me, that others may be curious. Give me the chance to humbly, yet boldly, declare and act upon the joy I have in You. ---Amen

No comments: