Friday, January 08, 2010

January 8th - Reflection

Reading
Ephesians 5:15-20 (NRSV)

Wise living in evil days

Be careful then how you live, not as unwise people but as wise, making the most of the time, because the days are evil. So do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. Do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery; but be filled with the Spirit, as you sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, singing and making melody to the Lord in your hearts, giving thanks to God the Father at all times and for everything in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Reflection
Understand what the will of the Lord is and be filled with the Spirit. What a wonderful thought. A time to celebrate God with praise and singing and melody coming from the heart. A time to give thanks to God at all times. A time to stop and think of all the blessings that God has given me. How blessed I really am. Sure, it seems that too frequently I seem to focus on the pain and the things that don't go as I want and complain and gripe. But that is more of my own selfish sin coming to the surface. A little bit of complaining, but a whole bunch of praise and thanksgiving can change my focus. What a gracious and merciful God!

At first glance at this reading, it seems like it is negative. But on closer examination, I see a celebration! So today, I'm gonna hum a tune to God and give thanks for everything around me. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Wow! What a wonderful world You have created! What a wonderful Savior You have given! Would You like to hear a song or two? I hope so, they are just for You! From me to You! Thank You, Lord! ---Amen

No comments: