Thursday, January 14, 2010

January 14th - Reflection

Reading
Acts 8:18-24 (NRSV)
God's gifts cannot be purchased


Now when Simon saw that the Spirit was given through the laying on of the apostles' hands, he offered them money, saying, "Give me also this power so that anyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit." But Peter said to him, "May your silver perish with you, because you thought you could obtain God's gift with money! You have no part or share in this, for your heart is not right before God. Repent therefore of this wickedness of yours, and pray to the Lord that, if possible, the intent of your heart may be forgiven you. For I see that you are in the gall of bitterness and the chains of wickedness." Simon answered, "Pray for me to the Lord, that nothing of what you have said may happen to me."

Reflection
Seems typical of how I would react to something today. After all, when I see something I want to purchase, I work for the money then go and buy it. I expect quality in the product that I buy and expect satisfaction from the seller.

But this is different! I can't buy what Jesus did for me. Jesus isn't offering it for sale. It's not up for purchase. And the Holy Spirit; to think that I can buy God is haughty.

So it is that, in this passage, Peter humbles me and speaks truth to me. May I perish with my money, because my way of thinking is incorrect. I need to repent and realize that I can't purchase or even earn salvation of myself or salvation of God's children. I need to taste that bitter taste in my mouth and realize that what I am trying to do is not only offensive to God but offensive to creation.

I am not the creator or the redeemer. I am His Child of whom the Father came through the Son to save me from my sin. Now this gift of the Holy Spirit through baptism is given to me. Given just as the Savior is given. Given, not earned or bought. Given out of love. Receive this gift in joy and run out into the world declaring the grace of God to all creation. Humbled, forgiven, gifted and called, I go this day to walk with God and cry out His wondrous deeds. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, break my chains of pride, hear this humble prayer, that I may graciously receive the Spirit and the gift and the calling; and serve You daily in Your Kingdom. ---Amen

No comments: