Wednesday, January 27, 2010

January 27th - Reflection

Reading
Psalm 119:89-96 (NRSV)
The law of God gives life


The Lord exists forever;
your word is firmly fixed in heaven.
Your faithfulness endures to all generations;
you have established the earth, and it stands fast.
By your appointment they stand today,
for all things are your servants.
If your law had not been my delight,
I would have perished in my misery.
I will never forget your precepts,
for by them you have given me life.
I am yours; save me
for I have sought your precepts.
The wicked lie in wait to destroy me,
but I consider your decrees.
I have seen a limit to all perfection,
but your commandment is exceedingly broad.

Reflection
I can grasp the concept that God existed forever. Just a stroll at night and a viewing of the stars, helps to bring this around. Or even a hike into the mountains. I can feel so small in contrast to all of creation around me. So the concept that God existed forever, even the concept that God is huge, really huge, doesn't seem that big of a stretch to me.

Even to believe that this God would expect me to be the servant in the relationship. OK, I can get that part. The part about God giving commandments or precepts...OK to that one too. God is boss, and I would expect to be told what to do.

But the law being the psalmists delight? That one has a little twist to it for me. My first inclination would be that I want to serve God in the way that I think would please God. But that's not the deal here. I am to serve God in the way that God wishes to be pleased. So how do I get from one way of thinking to the other?

Thanks be to God, it's through Jesus Christ. My first mode of thinking placed the burden on myself. For me to figure out that it's not about what pleases me, it's about what pleases God, all I have to do is look at the life of Jesus. He followed the plan that the Father laid out. Even when He had that inclination to stray from that plan and onto His own plan, He still stuck to the plan of the Father. And that made all the difference for you and for me. In that plan, what happened in the Garden of Eden through the first humans was reversed by God himself, in the flesh and blood of Jesus.

I see now that for me to do what I think will please God, puts myself on the same level with God. I am not God. I am a child of God. I am a servant of God. I am a disciple of God. But I am not God. My laws are not God's laws. My ways are not God's ways. So therefore I finally get how God's commandments and precepts make me happy.

By looking to God's commandments, God's precepts, God's plan; I can see what God wants and how God wants it. I now have a road map to follow to please God. I have a work plan. I have a plan that brings joy. Brings joy, because through God in the flesh, Jesus has shown the way to love God and to love one another and the way to please God. What a plan...what wonderful commands...what a wonderful walk with God, day by day. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, as I open Your Word this day; reveal Your commands, reveal Your plan and teach me. Lead me in the steps I am to take with You this day. May a heart of compassion and love grow within me and may I please You this day. --- Amen

No comments: