Saturday, January 02, 2010

January 2nd - Reflection

Reading
James 3:13-18 (NRSV)
The wisdom from above


Who is wise and understanding among you? Show by your good life that your works are done with gentleness born of wisdom. But if you have bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not be boastful and false to the truth. Such wisdom does not come down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, devilish. For where there is envy and selfish ambition, there will also be disorder and wickedness of every kind. But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without a trace of partiality or hypocrisy. And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace for those who make peace.

Reflection
Wow! You talk about an example to set. This one is a stretch goal for sure, at least for me. With a quick read it all sounds so simple. Just be a nice guy. But how do you sustain these characteristics in all circumstances and at all times? Sure, I could do some of these things every once in a while, but to be able to be this way all the time, I need some outside help!

One thing this passage does help me with, is recognizing in myself the stench of evil and sin. When I recognize my sin, I seek forgiveness and take a turn. I turn away from the selfish ambition and the bitter envy and begin to put on the characteristics of the wisdom from above. Take off the old clothes and put on the new. It sure seems though, that I need to do a lot of laundry. But, I suppose that's why it's important to listen and seek the voice of Jesus. One thing is for sure, God will tell it like it is, in no uncertain terms. And I like that...even when I see the bad in myself...I know of a God that is working with me to make me into His delight. And for all that I give all thanks and praise.

Prayer
Lord, I hear Your voice of truth. Help me in my filth and weakness to become who You have created me to be. ---Amen

No comments: