Saturday, January 16, 2010

January 16th - Reflection

Reading
Luke 11:14-23 (NRSV)
Looking for signs from heaven


Now he was casting out a demon that was mute; when the demon had gone out, the one who had been mute spoke, and the crowds were amazed. But some of them said, "He casts out demons by Beelzebul, the ruler of the demons." Others, to test him, kept demanding from him a sign from heaven. But he knew what they were thinking and said to them, "Every kingdom divided against itself becomes a desert, and house falls on house. If Satan also is divided against himself, how will his kingdom stand? -- for you say that I cast out the demons by Beelzebul. Now if I cast out the demons by Beelzebul, by whom do your exorcists cast them out? Therefore they will be your judges. But if it is by the finger of God that I cast out the demons, then the kingdom of God has come to you. When a strong man, fully armed, guards his castle, his property is safe. But when one stronger than he attacks him and overpowers him, he takes away his armor in which he trusted and divides his plunder. Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.

Reflection
I remember in 7th grade studying American History, and some words of Abraham Lincoln, where he said something to the effect of, a house divided against itself will not stand. I remember, about the same time, reading this passage or one like it, and coming to the realization that Abraham was quoting scripture. I thought, that I had found, some secret of humankind. I thought, that this was such a fantastic finding, that I even brought it to the attention of the teacher a couple of days later. To me this was a finding. To many others, this may just be nothing. But, at the time, I was amazed.

Abraham Lincoln took on a new respect for me at this time. I saw how an important person can reflect on the Word and put it to use in time. I began to realize how important it was to read the Word and make it a part of my life. I saw how to relate to the Word and see how it becomes "flesh" throughout history. I saw the need to really receive the Word into my life. At this time, the mute in myself began to speak. Slowly reading the Word, with a demon of fear cast out, can bring a joy of speech. In this realization from the words of Abraham Lincoln, in a text book, back in my younger days, came the finger of God in my life.

Prayer
Lord, may Your finger, touch the lives of all people, that they may see Your presence in history and in their lives and come to follow You. May all experience the joy of seeing You daily coming to their front door and inviting them out to play in Your Kingdom. ---Amen

No comments: