Friday, March 12, 2010

March 12th - Reflection



Reading

2 Corinthians 5:6-15 (NRSV)
Walking by faith and not by sight


So we are always confident; even though we know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord -- for we walk by faith, not by sight. Yes, we do have confidence, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord. So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please him. For all of us must appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each may receive recompense for what has been done in the body, whether good or evil.

Therefore, knowing the fear of the Lord, we try to persuade others; but we ourselves are well known to God, and I hope that we are also well known to your consciences. We are not commending ourselves to you again, but giving you an opportunity to boast about us, so that you may be able to answer those who boast in outward appearance and not in the heart. For if we are beside ourselves, it is for God; if we are in our right mind, it is for you. For the love of Christ urges us on, because we are convinced that one has died for all; therefore all have died. And he died for all, so that those who live might live no longer for themselves, but for him who died and was raised for them.

Reflection

"...so that those who live might live no longer for themselves, but for him who died and was raised for them." So that's what it's all about. I no longer live for myself. My joy is in what God has done for me. And at this is the battle too.


When I begin to think I can live for myself, I lose focus on what God has done for me. I lose focus and attempt to live for myself and by myself and fail. Human pride gets in the way of the failure, and I attempt even harder to make it on my own just to prove that I can do it on my own. But, I ultimately and at some point will fail. In the depths of failure, I realize that God has placed people in my life to live with me in the joy that is richly provided. People with love and compassion and understanding. People who will walk with me out of the failure and into a new life. A new life right where I am, built out of the love and joy of what Jesus did for me when he died and was raised to a new life himself. Jesus stayed with the people he was called to be with and brought them joy. This same joy given freely to me in my new life here and now through God and all those others now that are in my life...here and now.


So, as I live, I live anew with those God has placed before me in this place. I live anew in the joy, compassion and love Jesus gave to me with what he did for me. Now in this life, I go freely to love those here and now and rejoice in this life free from the wants and needs that I think I need to make it on my own, to live the new life in the joy fulfilled that I no longer live for myself but Christ lives in me for others.


Thanks be to God!


Prayer

Lord, fill me with your love, joy and compassion to live my life for you and that you live life through me to those you have placed in my life, here and now. --- Amen

No comments: