Friday, March 05, 2010

March 5th - Reflection



Reading

Revelation 3:1-6 (NRSV)
Warning to the church in Sardis

"And to the angel of the church in Sardis write: These are the words of him who has the seven spirits of God and the seven stars:

"I know your works; you have a name of being alive, but you are dead. Wake up, and strengthen what remains and is on the point of death, for I have not found your works perfect in the sight of my God. Remember then what you received and heard; obey it, and repent. If you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what hour I will come to you. Yet you have still a few persons in Sardis who have not soiled their clothes; they will walk with me, dressed in white, for they are worthy. If you conquer, you will be clothed like them in white robes, and I will not blot your name out of the book of life; I will confess your name before my Father and before his angels. Let anyone who has an ear listen to what the Spirit is saying to the churches.


Reflection

My works are not perfect by any stretch of imagination. Nor do I claim my works to be perfect. But with the grace of God I am growing in faith that God gives to me. Faith given each day that grows trust and hope. Trust and hope, not on my works, but on the works of the One who came down to this earth to save me. My trust and hope is in Jesus works. My works are a result of the love and grace God has freely given to me. God gives me gifts to be used in the Kingdom. And through the trust and hope of Jesus life, death, suffering and resurrection, and with the movement of the Spirit in and through me, I joyfully work in the Kingdom.


I work in a Kingdom alongside the One who is the Master Tradesman, Jesus. Sure, I mess it up, but he graciously corrects me and teaches me and lovingly leads me to be the tradesman he wants me to be. In this relationship as apprentice and disciple, I listen. I listen and learn and apply what Jesus teaches day by day. And day by day, by Jesus' side, I joyfully work the works I have been taught, not concentrating on the errors, but concentrating on the skills of my Master. What a freedom! What a joy! Thanks be to God!


Prayer

Lord, teach me this day that I may work in joy by your side. --- Amen

No comments: