Monday, March 22, 2010

March 22nd - Reflection

Reading
Exodus 40:1-15 (NRSV)
Anointing the holy things


The Lord spoke to Moses: On the first day of the first month you shall set up the tabernacle of the tent of meeting. You shall put in it the ark of the covenant, and you shall screen the ark with the curtain. You shall bring in the table, and arrange its setting; and you shall bring in the lampstand, and set up its lamps. You shall put the golden altar for incense before the ark of the covenant, and set up the screen for the entrance of the tabernacle. You shall set the altar of burnt offering before the entrance of the tabernacle of the tent of meeting, and place the basin between the tent of meeting and the altar, and put water in it. You shall set up the court all around, and hang up the screen for the gate of the court. Then you shall take the anointing oil, and anoint the tabernacle and all that is in it, and consecrate it and all its furniture, so that it shall become holy. You shall also anoint the altar of burnt offering and all its utensils, and consecrate the altar, so that the altar shall be most holy. You shall also anoint the basin with its stand, and consecrate it. Then you shall bring Aaron and his sons to the entrance of the tent of meeting, and shall wash them with water, and put on Aaron the sacred vestments, and you shall anoint him and consecrate him, so that he may serve me as priest. You shall bring his sons also and put tunics on them, and anoint them, as you anointed their father, that they may serve me as priests: and their anointing shall admit them to a perpetual priesthood throughout all generations to come.

Reflection
Sometimes I feel like I am a temple being prepared by God. And in this temple God will sacrifice Jesus. Why does it feel like God is preparing me? Shouldn't I be preparing for God? Shouldn't I be preparing for God to enter the temple of my heart and soul? Shouldn't I be getting ready?

But that's not how it feels. It feels more like God is preparing me. Sure, God is about to enter. God is about to enter and stay. God is about to take over. But, it's not about my preparations, it's about God preparing me.

The feeling makes me both fearful and joyful at once. I'm fearful that I won't be good enough for God. But, God's good enough, isn't about me, it's about Jesus. Jesus took on flesh and blood. Jesus took on the likeness of my temple and changed that temple from a bloody mess into a shining glorified body of life.

I think God is preparing my temple. Changing my temple from a bloody mess, to one day fill it with the presence of Jesus. What a joyful day that will be. What a wonderful change. May I become ready for Jesus to enter my temple, and may God prepare that temple for Jesus' presence.

Prayer
Lord, enter into my heart and prepare me for your presence. Take me and use me this day to your glory. --- Amen

No comments: