Wednesday, April 21, 2010

April 21st - Reflection




Psalm 121 (NRSV)
God will preserve your life
Psalm 121:1-8 (NRSV)
A Song of Ascents.

I lift up my eyes to the hills--
from where will my help come?
My help comes from the Lord,
who made heaven and earth.

He will not let your foot be moved;
he who keeps you will not slumber.
He who keeps Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.

The Lord is your keeper;
the Lord is your shade at your right hand.
The sun shall not strike you by day,
nor the moon by night.

The Lord will keep you from all evil;
he will keep your life.
The Lord will keep
your going out and your coming in
from this time on and forevermore.

Reflection
I can remember a critical time in my life, running home to confess a sin to my wife, as I drive by "Big Butter Jesus" on I-75, a prophet to me this day, yet a mostly humorous message to most, who read on the flashing sign out front, which of course was also way bigger than life, "God is closer than you think." How true that was then both spiritually, and physically too, if you believe that big ugly Jesus is God.

For me in my situation, Jesus was with me. With me as a friend and telling me that it was time to step up and do what was right. God there by my side, inside my head and all through me. I think he may have been driving the car that day even. And that's how Jesus has always been. He comes to you each and every day and walks with you in your life. He's there even in those times that you aren't with him...he's with you. I'm convinced of this funny but true presence and I'm ever thankful for that presence.

So, lift your eyes, to the hills or whatever, I'm sure you'll see him very close..."God is closer than you think."

Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, I lift my eyes and heart and very being and there you are...thanks! --- Amen

No comments: