Saturday, May 01, 2010

May 1st - Reflection




Philip and James, Apostles
John 14:8-14 (NRSV)


Philip said to him, "Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied." Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and you still do not know me? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own; but the Father who dwells in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; but if you do not, then believe me because of the works themselves. Very truly, I tell you, the one who believes in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will do greater works than these, because I am going to the Father. I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If in my name you ask me for anything, I will do it.


Reflection

How could I ask for anything more than what God has already given me? Yet in this passage, Jesus encourages us to ask. He encourages us to ask for anything. And as I ask for our daily bread, each day, I see how God is glorified. For in the asking, God has provided for the needs of all people. And in those needs, God is glorified through God's people by providing the labor and money and skill needed to provide daily bread to those in need. You see, in the asking, we are given a promise and a blessing. We are given a promise that God will provide and will be glorified. And we are given a blessing of time, talent and ability to use the gifts God has graciously given us to work in the Kingdom and provide the daily bread to the children of God. God is glorified not just in the giving of what we ask for, but also God is glorified in the work done through our hands. The Father dwells in Jesus and Jesus dwells in you and me. Thanks be to God!


Prayer

Lord, I give you thanks for daily bread. I give you thanks for all the blessings you provide. Use me this day to bring daily bread to your children in your Kingdom. --- Amen

No comments: