Monday, May 24, 2010

May 24th - Reflection




Joel 2:18-29 (NRSV)
God's spirit poured out


Then the Lord became jealous for his land,
and had pity on his people.
In response to his people the Lord said:
I am sending you
grain, wine, and oil,
and you will be satisfied;
and I will no more make you
a mockery among the nations.

I will remove the northern army far from you,
and drive it into a parched and desolate land,
its front into the eastern sea,
and its rear into the western sea;
its stench and foul smell will rise up.
Surely he has done great things!

Do not fear, O soil;
be glad and rejoice,
for the Lord has done great things!
Do not fear, you animals of the field,
for the pastures of the wilderness are green;
the tree bears its fruit,
the fig tree and vine give their full yield.
O children of Zion, be glad
and rejoice in the Lord your God;
for he has given the early rain for your vindication,
he has poured down for you abundant rain,
the early and the later rain, as before.
The threshing floors shall be full of grain,
the vats shall overflow with wine and oil.

I will repay you for the years
that the swarming locust has eaten,
the hopper, the destroyer, and the cutter,
my great army, which I sent against you.

You shall eat in plenty and be satisfied,
and praise the name of the Lord your God,
who has dealt wondrously with you.
And my people shall never again be put to shame.
You shall know that I am in the midst of Israel,
and that I, the Lord, am your God and there is no other.
And my people shall never again
be put to shame.

Then afterward
I will pour out my spirit on all flesh;
your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
your old men shall dream dreams,
and your young men shall see visions.
Even on the male and female slaves,
in those days, I will pour out my spirit.

Reflection
Sometimes we just need to hang in there and wait. There are tough times and there are good times. In the tough times we turn to the hope we have in God. We turn to the promises that God has given. We turn to Jesus, our Savior, who came in our form, and experienced what we experience, and saved us all the same. And we wait for the Spirit. The Spirit that rains down the gifts that we need in the good times and in the bad times. The Spirit is poured out on all of us. Through the Spirit we hear prophesy and see visions and dreams. Sometimes we just need to hang in there and wait..."I will pour out my spirit on all flesh..." Thanks be to God!

Prayer
In good times and bad, I turn to you Lord. I place all my hope in you, knowing that the Spirit will be poured out in abundance. Take me this day and use me. Take me this day and set me on fire that I may serve you and your Church and your people in love and compassionate action...today...tomorrow...and forever. --- Amen

No comments: