Thursday, May 20, 2010

May 20th - Reflection




Galatians 5:16-25 (NRSV)
The fruit of the Spirit

Live by the Spirit, I say, and do not gratify the desires of the flesh. For what the flesh desires is opposed to the Spirit, and what the Spirit desires is opposed to the flesh; for these are opposed to each other, to prevent you from doing what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not subject to the law. Now the works of the flesh are obvious: fornication, impurity, licentiousness, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, anger, quarrels, dissensions, factions, envy, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these. I am warning you, as I warned you before: those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

By contrast, the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against such things. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also be guided by the Spirit.


Reflection
By contrast...what a wonderful way to put it. What a wonderful guide in our faith walk. By contrast... And what a contrast that is. Do I still slip into the desires of the flesh? Sure, I do. But, thanks be to God, there are passages such as these that permit me to smell the stench of that sin. By contrast...the fruit of the Spirit takes on the aroma of a wonderful incense and a delightful smell. By contrast...I can smell my sin...turn from that sin...repent and by contrast... be guided back to those fruits of the Spirit. What a wonderful guide! What a wonderful plan!

By contrast...the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Free from the law, and a wonderful odor to the Lord. By contrast...Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, I sin, hear my plead for forgiveness. Hear me repent and turn towards you. Forgive me Lord and let me bring forth your fruit...today...tomorrow...and forever. --- Amen

No comments: