Saturday, July 16, 2011

July 16th - Reflection


Psalm 86:11-17 (NRSV)
Teach me your ways
Teach me your way, O Lord,
that I may walk in your truth;
give me an undivided heart to revere your name.
I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart,
and I will glorify your name forever.
For great is your steadfast love toward me;
you have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol.

O God, the insolent rise up against me;
a band of ruffians seeks my life,
and they do not set you before them.
But you, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious,
slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness.
Turn to me and be gracious to me;
give your strength to your servant;
save the child of your serving girl.
Show me a sign of your favor,
so that those who hate me may see it and be put to shame,
because you, Lord, have helped me and comforted me.

Reflection
God's been doing his part all along. God loves us, teaches us, warns us, punishes us, delivers us, and gives us all we need for living. How frustrated God must get when we fail to stop and listen, or pause and look around and just learn his will for us in our lives. Yet God has been patient with us also.

You and I are not much different from the Israelites. God delivers us from some situation in life and we rejoice about it all and then return to complaining in our own selfishness. It's time to stop it. It's time to look at God's Word, listen to it spoken, see it when we read it, experience the Word active and alive in the sacraments and live that Word in our lives with God and with one another.

God richly blesses us in our lives. God gives us so many talents and teaches in so many ways how to create, repair, love, sustain, and even cure some things that God has given to our care. God works through each of us and yet, instead of taking the blessing of manufacturers, mechanics, pastors, counselors, doctors, nurses, and skilled workers; we try to do it all ourselves and selfishly think we know all of what's best for ourselves.

These all are gifts and skills freely given from God. We must rejoice in those that have been given and have chosen to grow the God given talents and use those talents to the glory of God. It's not about me or you. It's about God. And even with this little bit, just think of all that God has poured out upon us as his people.

Wow! How God saves and enriches our lives through his love and life and creation. How God pours upon us the love of one another and the skills and the talents of so many people! How richly blessed we really are. Stop, look, listen and learn all that God has done! Thanks be to God!

Prayer
If only I but stop, look and listen, maybe I'll learn something. Lord, you richly bless through doctors, nurses, mechanics, laborers, counselors, pastors, friends, family... Teach me to listen and pay attention to your Word in their words. Help me to follow your advice in their advice. Teach me to discern when their words are not your Word and to turn the other way. Open my mind to your teaching that I may do your will this day and be a blessing with the talents and skills you lovingly gave to me...today...tomorrow...and forever. --- Amen

No comments: