Sunday, July 24, 2011

July 24th - Reflection


6th Sunday After Pentecost
Matthew 13:31-33, 44-52 (NRSV)
Parables of the reign of heaven He put before them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed that someone took and sowed in his field; it is the smallest of all the seeds, but when it has grown it is the greatest of shrubs and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and make nests in its branches."


He told them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took and mixed in with three measures of flour until all of it was leavened." ...

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which someone found and hid; then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls; on finding one pearl of great value, he went and sold all that he had and bought it.

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a net that was thrown into the sea and caught fish of every kind; when it was full, they drew it ashore, sat down, and put the good into baskets but threw out the bad. So it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come out and separate the evil from the righteous and throw them into the furnace of fire, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

"Have you understood all this?" They answered, "Yes." And he said to them, "Therefore every scribe who has been trained for the kingdom of heaven is like the master of a household who brings out of his treasure what is new and what is old."

Reflection
When I think back on my walk of faith with God, I think of all the simple things that turned out to be the greatest. I think of my memories of Mom reading the Bible. I think of a dream of Jesus at my door. I think of Frank Menscik teaching me a Sunday School lesson when I was the only one there. I think of singing Beautiful Savior in Vacation Bible School. I think of fellowship on softball and bowling teams. I think of working together with others on IHN. I think of giving a sermon every now and then. I think of the first time I read as a deacon. I think of wine drops on the altar rail. I think of singing in choirs. I think of prayer partners. I think of book readings. I think of times sharing God in lives of one another. I think of serving, serving serving. I think of teaching High School Sunday School with a very dear friend. I think of Churchwide Assemblies. I think of helping lead Youth Trips. I think of CRHP. I think of Men's Group studies. I think of hospital visits. I think of baptisms. I think...

So many thoughts come to mind that seem to grow, build on another, but go on and on. I wonder if heaven is an explosion of all of this. Like the mustard seed exploding into a great plant. Like yeast exploding and growing in the Bread of Life. Or even like the value of a treasure found. Sometimes I think all of our faith walk with Jesus is just a small small taste of heaven. Just imagine what it would be like! What hope we have been given! Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, your love goes way beyond what I can imagine. But, I sure have fun imagining...today...tomorrow...and forever. --- Amen

No comments: