Sunday, July 03, 2011

July 3rd - Reflection



3rd Sunday After Pentecost
Matthew 11:16-19, 25-30 (NRSV)

The yoke of discipleship

"But to what will I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling to one another,
'We played the flute for you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.'
For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon'; the Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Look, a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!' Yet wisdom is vindicated by her deeds." ...

At that time Jesus said, "I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and the intelligent and have revealed them to infants; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.

"Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

Reflection
What a divine offer we have here. Take Jesus yoke upon you and learn from Jesus. Jesus is gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest. You will find Jesus' yoke easy and Jesus' burden light.

Doesn't seem to make sense. I would think Jesus' yoke was very difficult. I would think that it was very heavy carrying the weight of the sins of the world. But what was the yoke? The yoke, was the yoke of the law, which the Rabbis called it. The yoke wasn't sin, death and the devil. Jesus did take on the law and make it so much simpler.

The law had become a huge burden for all the Jewish people of that day. Take a stroll through the Pentateuch and you will see so many laws and regulations that your head will spin. God was very specific in each of the laws set down. God issued laws with specific meanings and deep spiritual value. But God has the vantage point and wisdom and truth and discipline that no man but Jesus could possess. The Law points us to God and helps us realize that we need God to help and guide us through.

And this is where God saw the faults of sin in the children and sent Jesus. Sent Jesus to fulfill the law and be the specific sacrifice, the perfect Lamb, the awesome blood that would save all people from sin, death and the devil. Through Jesus the Law still teaches and guides us but the Law is fulfilled in our trust, faith, hope, and relationship with God through Jesus and his Holy Spirit.

A Spirit that calls, gathers, unites, and teaches us the faith that we need. That other part of us that is not flesh and blood but is spirit is now united with God. Father-Son-Holy Spirit all together as One come to form a relationship with us, each and all individually. Such is the awesome wonder and mystery of the divine offer.

"Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
Now let's open our infant eyes and see God! Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, I want your yoke. Declare me your disciple. I desire a close relationship with you. Teach me Lord and lead me and give me that humble heart of love that I may act in the way you would have me act to those you give to me this day and this week. --- Amen

No comments: