Thursday, July 28, 2011

July 28th - Reflection


Philippians 4:10-15 (NRSV)
Being well fed and yet hungry
I rejoice in the Lord greatly that now at last you have revived your concern for me; indeed, you were concerned for me, but had no opportunity to show it. Not that I am referring to being in need; for I have learned to be content with whatever I have. I know what it is to have little, and I know what it is to have plenty. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being well-fed and of going hungry, of having plenty and of being in need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. In any case, it was kind of you to share my distress.

You Philippians indeed know that in the early days of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving, except you alone.

Reflection
Paul reflects on a gift from the church that comes from the heart. There is a time when we are able to give and those times when our gifts take on varying methods of giving due to low income. But at all times we give. And we give because we have been given to and joy overflows. It's a giving that is not a sense of payment but a giving that has the sense of the joy of presence.

When the Father gave Jesus to us, we couldn't do anything to re-pay the favor. But we can respond in joy and thanksgiving and give to one another and return thanks and praise and gifts to God. Not to make favor with God. How could we ever be more favored in the eyes of God? Jesus saved us! But we give out of a deep joy and thanksgiving and love that God has shown and taught us himself.

With our lives focused on Jesus our relationship with one another changes dramatically. We give out of love, one for another. We give out of joy and the united hope we all have in Jesus. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, open my heart today and expose the power of your love that I may give in whatever way is suitable, through your grace...today...tomorrow...and forever. --- Amen

No comments: