Friday, July 01, 2011

July 1st - Reflection


Romans 7:7-20 (NRSV)
Sin and the law kill us
What then should we say? That the law is sin? By no means! Yet, if it had not been for the law, I would not have known sin. I would not have known what it is to covet if the law had not said, "You shall not covet." But sin, seizing an opportunity in the commandment, produced in me all kinds of covetousness. Apart from the law sin lies dead. I was once alive apart from the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died, and the very commandment that promised life proved to be death to me. For sin, seizing an opportunity in the commandment, deceived me and through it killed me. So the law is holy, and the commandment is holy and just and good.

Did what is good, then, bring death to me? By no means! It was sin, working death in me through what is good, in order that sin might be shown to be sin, and through the commandment might become sinful beyond measure.

For we know that the law is spiritual; but I am of the flesh, sold into slavery under sin. I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. Now if I do what I do not want, I agree that the law is good. But in fact it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me. For I know that nothing good dwells within me, that is, in my flesh. I can will what is right, but I cannot do it. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me.

Reflection
Confusing isn't it? But real...really real! We think that if we follow all the laws we will get to heaven. And maybe that's true...but I think we cannot. I think, if we follow all the laws, we have only fooled ourselves. We have made our actions and our "goodness" our savior. If this were true there would be no need for God to come to this earth in the flesh of Jesus and in the spirit of the Holy Spirit. We could save ourselves by being good and following all of the laws.

For me, I know that I can't follow all the laws. I can name many that I have broken. Easily name them. For me, the law enables me to smell the stench of my sin and know that it is wrong. For me, I find that the law leads me to recognize that I need someone else to save me. For me, I am condemned to hell eternally on my own. So the law makes me aware of the things that I do that I wish I didn't do. The law points out to me that I need God. I need God to save me, call me, teach me, gather me into his arms and show me the way God chooses for me to serve in his Kingdom.

So God sent his Son in the same flesh I am made of to show the way. To live, to teach, to suffer, to die, to defeat death, sin and the devil and rise again. He sent Jesus to ascend into heaven to offer the sacrifice needed for my sin in this world. God sent Jesus to free me from the bondage of sin. And God sent the Holy Spirit to call, gather and enlighten me in the way I am to follow.

The entire shift of the past two paragraphs are a shift of faith. The first was all about me. The second paragraph is all about God. The law points me to humbly go to God in repentance and seek his help. And God has already responded through Jesus and the Spirit. The law reveals and stimulates my sin and creates a conflict with sin.

But, in this revelation, I find that my Savior has come to me. The Spirit has chosen me. I find that only God can deliver this body from death. Salvation floods my soul in ever living waters. Salvation floods my soul in the body and blood of Jesus. Salvation floods me and I respond with praise, joy and thanksgiving. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Jesus, only you can wash me clean. Flood my soul this day and show me how to serve you and those you give to me this day in the love you have graciously shown to all the world. --- Amen

No comments: