Saturday, February 11, 2012

February 11th Reflection by Bill Lynch


Psalm 30 (NRSV)
You restored me to health
I will extol you, O Lord, for you have drawn me up,
and did not let my foes rejoice over me.
O Lord my God, I cried to you for help,
and you have healed me.
O Lord, you brought up my soul from Sheol,
restored me to life from among those gone down to the Pit.

Sing praises to the Lord, O you his faithful ones,
and give thanks to his holy name.
For his anger is but for a moment;
his favor is for a lifetime.
Weeping may linger for the night,
but joy comes with the morning.

As for me, I said in my prosperity,
"I shall never be moved."
By your favor, O Lord,
you had established me as a strong mountain;
you hid your face;
I was dismayed.

To you, O Lord, I cried,
and to the Lord I made supplication:
"What profit is there in my death,
if I go down to the Pit?
Will the dust praise you?
Will it tell of your faithfulness?
Hear, O Lord, and be gracious to me!
O Lord, be my helper!"

You have turned my mourning into dancing;
you have taken off my sackcloth
and clothed me with joy,
so that my soul may praise you and not be silent.
O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever.


Reflection
I about died! Well, I hope I did die. I hope I died in that baptismal font. I hope that when I went under the water that I died. When I came out of the water my life was not as concerned about death as it was about life. In the baptismal gift I died and became a child of God, new life and all. I daily remember this death when I arise each morning. I remember that I was baptized and ask God to forgive me and make me new once again that I may live in and through and for him this new day.

I about died! Big deal! It's time now to live! Thanks be to God for this wonderful gift!

Prayer
Lord, take me this new day into new life in and through you. --- Amen

No comments: