Saturday, February 25, 2012

Good Gifts - Disciple Duck

Mark 14:56-66 (New Revised Standard)

56 For many gave false testimony against him, and their testimony did not agree. 57 Some stood up and gave false testimony against him, saying, 58 "We heard him say, "I will destroy this temple that is made with hands, and in three days I will build another, not made with hands.' " 59 But even on this point their testimony did not agree. 60 Then the high priest stood up before them and asked Jesus, "Have you no answer? What is it that they testify against you?" 61 But he was silent and did not answer. Again the high priest asked him, "Are you the Messiah, the Son of the Blessed One?" 62 Jesus said, "I am; and "you will see the Son of Man seated at the right hand of the Power,' and "coming with the clouds of heaven.' " 63 Then the high priest tore his clothes and said, "Why do we still need witnesses? 64 You have heard his blasphemy! What is your decision?" All of them condemned him as deserving death. 65 Some began to spit on him, to blindfold him, and to strike him, saying to him, "Prophesy!" The guards also took him over and beat him. 66 While Peter was below in the courtyard, one of the servant-girls of the high priest came by.

Reflection
You know what! I walk like a duck, I swim like a duck, I quack like a duck...I betcha I'm a duck!..."by golly!" That last part comes from a politician these days. You know I don't walk around with a sign on me that says, "Duck." People just kind of look at me and listen to me and figure it out.

Years ago there was this group that supposedly couldn't figure out who this guy was. It was obvious to my ancestors and many other's but this guy asking the questions wanted to hear the words straight from the ducks mouth so to speak. It was a big thing for this guy to say who he was. There were many other's just telling lies about him. If he stated who he was... I think they had decided upon killing this guy! Mr. Pig doesn't have that issue. They just watch him and when he's plump enough, he's a gonner.

I know the guy's name was Jesus. The people questioning him were a bunch of religious kind of people. They knew who he was! They just wanted to hear Jesus say it so they could get all dramatic and find a way to have him killed by Roman law. So the high priest asked Jesus if he was the Son of the Blessed One. Well the Blessed one is just another way of saying God, so the question was, "Are you the Son of God?" Seems like they all beat around the bush for some reason.

And Jesus says "I am..." Isn't that so cool! I AM is what God wanted to be called in the first place. Then the high priest tore his clothes. It told you he could get all dramatic. Some say he tore his mantle. Well the mantle was a big deal for these people. Even in the Old Testament they talk about Elijah passing on his mantle to Elisha. It's like a coat or something with deeper meaning. There's even a specific way you're supposed to tear your mantle for it to be legitimate. This tearing of the mantle was meant to be an extreme expression of sorrow and grief, often done at funerals, to expose the heart. So, to say the least, this guy was really upset about Jesus saying he was the Son of God.

But, from what my ancestors have told me... he looked like the Son of God, he spoke like the Son of God, he even walked liked the Son of God. So he was the Son of God. Jesus gave his very life for all creation to be renewed and saved from such hatred, sin, illness and death. To this day people have decided to follow Jesus as disciples. Through gifts of the Holy Spirit, God has led these people to love one another. Love one another even in the illness, poverty, hatred and death.

There was another tearing that took place a short time after this high priest tore his clothes. The Temple curtain was torn. It also exposed the heart of God to all people. The heart of God showing the love that God has for creation.

So disciples today show their love for creation by caring for the poor, the ill and many others. I'm even a part of this. People give money that I may be used to help the poor and the ill to bring new life into their communities through the gifts that even I can bring. God loves me, ol' Disciple Duck, enough to let me be used to bring glory to Jesus! I have exposed my heart to God so that you may expose your heart to God and your neighbors.

Quackin' for Christ,
Disciple Duck
Prayer
Wow God! Your heart is amazing! Thanks for showing it to all the world through Jesus. --- Amen
www.elca.org/goodgifts

No comments: