Tuesday, February 21, 2012

February 21st Reflection by Bill Lynch


Job 19:23-27 (NRSV)
Job will see God
"O that my words were written down!
O that they were inscribed in a book!
O that with an iron pen and with lead
they were engraved on a rock forever!
For I know that my Redeemer lives,
and that at the last he will stand upon the earth;
and after my skin has been thus destroyed,
then in my flesh I shall see God,
whom I shall see on my side,
and my eyes shall behold, and not another.
My heart faints within me!

Reflection
Did Jesus reach into time and touch Job's heart? Did Job see Jesus? It seems this to be a Christian psalm, but this is and Old Testament Psalm that surpasses time and understanding. The suffering Job sees Jesus, it seems to me.

It seems in the midst of suffering, when we are afraid and ill, we long for Jesus to come and be with us. But if we open our eyes and really see, we can see Jesus all around. Jesus in the hands of nurses, doctors, care-givers, in those who administer tests and those who produce medicine. We can see Jesus in the housekeeping staff that cares for our room and the maintenance people that repair and maintain all that is around us and in us. We see Jesus everywhere. When we notice Jesus we then know the presence of God. We know that our Redeemer lives!

Prayer
Jesus, open my eyes to your presence this day. --- Amen

No comments: