Sunday, February 26, 2012

February 26th Reflection by Bill Lynch



First Sunday in Lent
Mark 1:9-15 (NRSV)

The temptation of Jesus
In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. And just as he was coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens torn apart and the Spirit descending like a dove on him. And a voice came from heaven, "You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased."

And the Spirit immediately drove him out into the wilderness. He was in the wilderness forty days, tempted by Satan; and he was with the wild beasts; and the angels waited on him.

Now after John was arrested, Jesus came to Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God, and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near; repent, and believe in the good news."

Reflection
Mark moves fast in this passage. Jesus is baptized, spends forty days in the wilderness and begins his ministry. Jesus was baptized even though he was sinless. But we do see a new page turning here. We see Jesus taking on the human mission to feel temptation and feel need and feel human pain and suffering. Perhaps in those forty days Jesus felt joy and lived and loved creation with the plants and animals as Adam and Eve once had done. In those forty days, Jesus knows us more deeply and closely.

So since Jesus knows us; as he comes out of the forty days, he now knows how needful we all are and what an important mission he has to save all humankind from sin, death and the devil. The Gospel must be proclaimed, the kingdom of God has come near; repent, and believe in the good news!

Prayer
Jesus, you know me better than I know myself...forgive me as I repent. Build my faith as I believe in you... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: