Sunday, February 12, 2012

Good Gifts Joey Well


John 4:6-15
Jacob's well was there, and Jesus, tired out by his journey, was sitting by the well. It was about noon.  A Samaritan woman came to draw water, and Jesus said to her, "Give me a drink."  (His disciples had gone to the city to buy food.)  The Samaritan woman said to him, "How is it that you, a Jew, ask a drink of me, a woman of Samaria?" (Jews do not share things in common with Samaritans.)  Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you, "Give me a drink,' you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water."  The woman said to him, "Sir, you have no bucket, and the well is deep. Where do you get that living water?  Are you greater than our ancestor Jacob, who gave us the well, and with his sons and his flocks drank from it?"  Jesus said to her, "Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again,  but those who drink of the water that I will give them will never be thirsty. The water that I will give will become in them a spring of water gushing up to eternal life."  The woman said to him, "Sir, give me this water, so that I may never be thirsty or have to keep coming here to draw water."

The Story just seems to go on and on about my Great-great-great-great-great-great-great Uncle Jacob. I'm not sure if I have the number of "greats" right there, but I do know that Jacob Well was well known. Get it? He even made into some book that people read all the time. I'm pretty sure that book became a best seller. Anyway, Jacob became great, not for his water, but for a conversation about water. Go figure!

This guy is sitting on top of Jacob when a woman comes up. The guy wants the woman to give him some water from Jacob, I think. But they get to talking and the guy says he could give her a drink of living water. I don't know what was so bad about Jacob's water, but the woman wants some of this water. So now I'm confused about who wants what water. I can't even figure out who's thirsty for Jacob's water. I kinda feel bad for Jacob. But these guys come up and bust up the whole conversation. I don't know if anyone ever did get a drink after all? Jacob Well sure became famous for the whole thing!

I think I figured out some of this living water stuff. This thing called ELCA Good Gifts allows people to give money so that more wells can be made for people that need good clean water. People give money and a well is made and this water helps people live... living water... see? I think that's what that guy sitting on Jacob Well was getting at a little. He cared enough for people to give all of us living water that we could live on forever if we just believed in him and trusted in that living water. And when people do this, they are glad to go and share this living water with anyone and everyone. Living water...no more thirst... all people are satisfied with this guys water and we don't forget to run off without getting a drink.

I'm not sure if ol Jacob Well knew what was going on, but people can continue this living water through ELCA Good Gifts by giving a chance at life to another in need. I'm proud of Great...........Jacob Well, my uncle.

Joey Well

Prayer
Giver of living water, lead all your people to love like you love and give water to all that need some. --- Amen
www.elca.org/goodgifts

No comments: