Friday, February 17, 2012

February 17th Reflection by Bill Lynch


1 Timothy 1:12-20 (NRSV)
Gratitude for mercy
I am grateful to Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because he judged me faithful and appointed me to his service, even though I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and a man of violence. But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. The saying is sure and worthy of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the foremost. But for that very reason I received mercy, so that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display the utmost patience, making me an example to those who would come to believe in him for eternal life. To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.

I am giving you these instructions, Timothy, my child, in accordance with the prophecies made earlier about you, so that by following them you may fight the good fight, having faith and a good conscience. By rejecting conscience, certain persons have suffered shipwreck in the faith; among them are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have turned over to Satan, so that they may learn not to blaspheme.

Reflection
God uses the very people that we would judge as unworthy of use in God's mission. So, for me, I need to be careful with judging other people. The very people I judge useless, may just be the people that God will use to lead the Church.

There is a warning here and a blessing. A warning to watch God take someone I may think couldn't be used and God uses them to glorify and honor God. There is a blessing here too. I am a sinful being. I have sinned and can also make claim to be one of the greatest of sinners. God will use me too. God has blessed me and all people with the life, teaching, suffering, death, resurrection and ascension of Christ to save each one of us from sin and death and grant a new and eternal life in Jesus. That's huge! Everyone has been given this blessing. Will you accept this gift of grace? A warning and a blessing.

God has come to save and give life. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, lead me to see the potential and beauty of all you give to me this day that I may honor and glorify you. --- Amen

No comments: