Sunday, August 19, 2012

August 19th Reflection by Bill Lynch



John 6:51-58 (NRSV)
Christ, the true food and drink

I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats of this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh."

The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, "How can this man give us his flesh to eat?" So Jesus said to them, "Very truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day; for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever eats me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like that which your ancestors ate, and they died. But the one who eats this bread will live forever."
Reflection
Real life is unending. Jesus is "real" life. Jesus is that food which we take that satisfies eternally. We don't need anything else. Real life that brings complete fulfillment once and for all.

If we hear this passage prior to the enlightenment of the cross it becomes literal and gross. But in the Light of the cross we see that Jesus' flesh refers to his human life. A life given to you and me and to all humans. God the Father gave life in the creation and the incarnation of God in Jesus. Now Jesus gives himself... his life to us.

This is real food and drink. Those who take the bread and the wine, take the body and the blood of Jesus. As believers we are surrounded by Christ and Christ is surrounded by us. This is the true or real bread from heaven. Unlike the manna, Jesus brings and sustains real life that is unending.

Now we no longer need to fear death. We live eternal life here and now. We celebrate life in Jesus. We find ourselves in Christ. We find life all around us and death is nowhere near. The decay and failure of our bodies in this world has been replaced with a new body that we can't understand. But we have all hope and joy in this promise of God in Christ Jesus. 

Real life is unending. Jesus is "REAL" life. We don't need anything else. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
I give you all glory, honor and praise for the REAL life of Christ Jesus my savior. I need nothing else... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: