Saturday, August 25, 2012

August 25th Reflection by Bill Lynch


John 6:56-69 (New Revised Standard)

56 Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. 57 Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever eats me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like that which your ancestors ate, and they died. But the one who eats this bread will live forever." 59 He said these things while he was teaching in the synagogue at Capernaum. 60 When many of his disciples heard it, they said, "This teaching is difficult; who can accept it?" 61 But Jesus, being aware that his disciples were complaining about it, said to them, "Does this offend you? 62 Then what if you were to see the Son of Man ascending to where he was before? 63 It is the spirit that gives life; the flesh is useless. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life. 64 But among you there are some who do not believe." For Jesus knew from the first who were the ones that did not believe, and who was the one that would betray him. 65 And he said, "For this reason I have told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted by the Father." 66 Because of this many of his disciples turned back and no longer went about with him. 67 So Jesus asked the twelve, "Do you also wish to go away?" 68 Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom can we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69 We have come to believe and know that you are the Holy One of God."

Reflection
This passage reflects discussions at Capernaum. Probably not all of this discussion took place in the synagogue. But Jesus laid out some very difficult words to believe. "Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them."

The bread and the wine are real. When we believe, we are bound with Jesus. What kind of reaction does this bring to you? You see, Jesus was soon to be lifted up. Lifted up not to heaven first but onto a cross. There would be pain and suffering. Jesus' flesh and blood would cry out in pain for all people throughout all time. Jesus would give himself for the sin of all the people of the world throughout all time. Jesus flesh and blood was the sacrifice for our sin!

But it's so hard to distinguish the physical from the spiritual. When we only see the "flesh" in this passage we are appalled by the request to eat of the flesh. Some didn't believe in Jesus as the Son of God let alone Jesus as the Son of Man. So, here, Jesus seeks for us to take a stand. Are we with him or not? It is the spirit that gives life as Jesus put it. We partake of the spirit of Jesus in the flesh. The flesh is useless. We were created from earth and to earth we will return. Yet for a while we have the breath of God within us. We live in the flesh and live in the spirit together and God give us a purpose bound up in the life, death, suffering, resurrection and ascension of Jesus. Jesus in the flesh and Jesus in the spirit. We are bound with God!

With this we take a stand! We stand with Jesus in flesh and in spirit. we are one with God. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, those are difficult yet wondrous words. I stand with you for I want to be bound with you in flesh and spirit... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: