Friday, August 03, 2012

August 3rd Reflection by Bill Lynch



Read John 6:24-35

Bread
There were thousands of them that day. I was completely out numbered. One smart boy had brought me along. But I was just a snack. Then Jesus commanded that I be brought forward. I was fed to the thousands. Somehow when they gathered me together afterwards there was more of me than there was before I was fed to the thousands.

This guy Jesus has something special going for him. His words intrigued me because he spoke of bread from heaven. Bread that never runs out. Well somehow or another he made me an example of this bread from heaven that never runs out. But then he seemed to make it even more personal. He seemed to be saying that he was the Bread from heaven. After all he was born in Bethlehem, sometimes known as the "house of bread."

Was there more to this than I thought? When the crowd ate of my delights it would sustain them for a day perhaps, but Jesus was telling them that he would sustain them forever. That he was the Bread of life. The Israelites had ate some bread from heaven of sorts years ago. It was called manna, which meant what is it? But this bread would only sustain for the day and would spoil if too much were gathered or it was hoarded. Jesus, Bread was different. This Jesus Bread would leave you no longer hunger.

I think Jesus was a different kind of Bread. I gave the people nourishment for a day. But as the people got into the boats to seek Jesus he was telling them not to seek bread like me that only lasts for a day, but to seek Bread like him that is eternal.

There were thousands of them that day. I was completely out numbered. But that was me. As for Jesus... no problem.

Prayer
Jesus, I seek your Bread. I seek to hear your Word and walk in your way and live a life pleasing to you. Guide me and nourish me this day that I may serve you... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: