Sunday, August 05, 2012

August 5th Reflection by Bill Lynch



The Gift


I worked hard all week and couldn't wait for my first paycheck. It would be a time of celebration. After all for the past year and a half I had been unemployed and looking for work all of this time. Dinner out was in order since we had to cut back in the family on all luxuries. Only this one time for a while though. It would take another year to make up for all that I had lost when I wasn't working.

So out to dinner I took the family that Friday evening. The kids and my wife had a blast that evening, It was a celebration of hard work for the week past. A celebration the entire family deserved. But then my youngest daughter Kayla spoke up. Kayla was only eight years old at the time but her wisdom is now so profound. Kayla also thought we should celebrate the past year and a half when we had come together as a family and survived on the wondrous and loving acts of so many people dear to us and so many other's of whom we didn't even know that contributed to our lives. We had fun going to the splash pads with friends. We had a blast spending evening together outside playing corn hole with friends and neighbors all around us. We were given so many small jobs by people who really didn't need a small job to be done but wanted to love and care for us while we were going through some tough times.

Kayla even thanked God for keeping us close and caring for us through this entire time. Kayla realized that what we had was much more than what money could purchase. We had been in a position to accept love freely given. Love just like what God gave to us through his Son on the cross. We could never repay this at any cost.

That evening Kayla opened our eyes to something deeper than a paycheck. She opened our eyes to a faith that comes from God that gives hope and happiness. I worked hard all week and couldn't wait for my first paycheck. But it wasn't the money that counted. It was the wise words of Kayla.

Prayer
Lord, I look to you for everlasting food that doesn't spoil and always nourishes. I give you all thanks and all the glory for showing me how to depend fully on you... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: