Friday, August 24, 2012

August 24th Reflection by Bill Lynch
















John 6:56-69 (New Revised Standard)

56 Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. 57 Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever eats me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like that which your ancestors ate, and they died. But the one who eats this bread will live forever." 59 He said these things while he was teaching in the synagogue at Capernaum. 60 When many of his disciples heard it, they said, "This teaching is difficult; who can accept it?" 61 But Jesus, being aware that his disciples were complaining about it, said to them, "Does this offend you? 62 Then what if you were to see the Son of Man ascending to where he was before? 63 It is the spirit that gives life; the flesh is useless. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life. 64 But among you there are some who do not believe." For Jesus knew from the first who were the ones that did not believe, and who was the one that would betray him. 65 And he said, "For this reason I have told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted by the Father." 66 Because of this many of his disciples turned back and no longer went about with him. 67 So Jesus asked the twelve, "Do you also wish to go away?" 68 Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom can we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69 We have come to believe and know that you are the Holy One of God."

Reflection
I was filled with the glory of God that day. Jesus was teaching in my presence a Word that was very difficult for many to believe. You see, I am the synagogue at Capernaum. I'm like the "fly on the wall." I get to hear it all. I hear Jesus proclaim the Word. I hear the small side conversations and the whispers of all the people. I am the walls and the roof and the entire building. I am the synagogue and I heard it all.

Jesus spoke some amazing words. Words difficult to take for anyone. Even the disciples of Jesus were complaining. What is Jesus trying to do? These words will ruin all that we have followed him for these past few years. Jesus has gone off of his rocker!

But the religious leaders of the day seemed to be happy with these words of Jesus. Surely the people will understand now that this man, Jesus, is not of God!

When I put it all together. All of the words, conversations, the expressions of the people and the things that I saw that day; I begin to see what Jesus was doing. It was time for some people to "take a stand." Are you with Jesus or not? Many of the disciples left, but the ones that remained were the ones that were dedicated to Jesus. They were dedicated to God in Jesus. They laid their life on Jesus and gave it to him that day.

Jesus wants the life of the people even to this day. Jesus wants us to take a stand. Jesus wants us, today, to proclaim his saving grace and glory in God. 

Take a stand for Jesus today!

"Lord, to whom can we go? You have the words of eternal life. We have come to believe and know that you are the Holy One of God."

I heard and saw it all that day. I was filled with the glory of God! Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, you call us to take a stand. We too can be as the synagogue was that day. We too can see and read your Word each and every day. We too can believe and take a stand. You have the words of eternal life and we know that you are the Holy One of God... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen




No comments: