Tuesday, January 01, 2013

January 1st Reflection by Bill Lynch


Happy New Year!
It's a new year and I always share a couple of devotional ideas that I have used for years and years. Each year I read through the Bible. This is an activity that has brought me to cherish God's Word. Years ago, I did this just to see if I could do it, which is the wrong reason as I've discovered through the years. That's about my accomplishment and is kind of arrogant. But because of that desire to see if I could read the Bible and the accomplishment of doing it, I discovered something much deeper. Now I don't read the Bible just to see if I can; I read the Bible because God speaks to me in that reading. Speaks directly to me in my life in the situation that I am living in at the time. Reading the Bible has now become a joy not an accomplishment.

Through the years, I have enjoyed various versions of the Bible. For several years I have read the NRSV, but in addition to that I have read through the RSV, NIV, CEV, NASB, The Message, TEV, and I want to say a couple of more that I can't recall. Some of these versions are paraphrase Bibles and others are word for word translations or they take the words and interpret the meaning. In any case, I have found the variety between versions helps me to understand the concepts and message God is speaking to me in that particular passage. I have always came back to the NRSV, RSV and the KJV to land in study for the most part. This year I have chosen to use the Bible I had gifted to my Mom, who passed on my birthday, June 22 of last year. It is NCV (New Century Version) with comments and devotions by Max Lucado, one of my favorite authors.

Now, on to a few Bible Reading Plans I have used. I started with reading five chapters a day beginning to end. To me this was gruesome. It was more of a chore than a joy. Then I moved to a classic plan which was much better http://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-reading-plan/classic.html --- but for the past few years I have loved the one I am currently using http://www.navpress.com/product/9781576839744/The-Discipleship-Journal-Bible-Reading-Plan-Discipleship-Journal --- This gives you 25 days per month. I enjoy the five or six days of grace and each day you will read Old Testament, Letters, Psalms, and Gospels. This has been my favorite plan for years.

Now on to a brief explanation of what you are reading here in my Reflections. I have also changed this up through the years using various techniques for reflections. First has been basic research into the passage using various resources, commentaries, and past experience that are available from my library and the internet. Second I have used personal pictures, words heard, stories that I make up, hymns and songs and psalms. All of the variation just to use what creativity God has granted me to use in reflecting upon God's Word day by day. Lately, I have chosen to mix it all up and use various styles of writing through the week.

Concerning the passages you see. For the most part the passages are my way of preparing for the next Sunday of worship. The passages are from the Lectionary and consist of four passages. I tend to concentrate on the Gospel passage in various forms such as, research, a story as if I was present as a "fly on the wall" or an obscure part of the passage, and a story that describes what was the main point of the passage to me in my life at that time.

My hope is that these Reflections bring honor to God. Feel free to pass them along and point anyone you please to this blog. If any would want to be added to the email listing, send me an email at kc8isn@sbcglobal.net.

So there you have it. I encourage you to read God's Word and listen to what God has to say to you in your life at this time. May God speak to you through these Reflections through the year. May all glory, honor and praise be to God our Father and Savior and Spirit now and forever. Thanks be to God!

Happy New Year!


Psalm 72:1-7, 10-14
Prayer for Guidance and Support for the King

Of Solomon.

Give the king your justice, O God,
   and your righteousness to a king’s son.
May he judge your people with righteousness,
   and your poor with justice.
May the mountains yield prosperity for the people,
   and the hills, in righteousness.
May he defend the cause of the poor of the people,
   give deliverance to the needy,
   and crush the oppressor.

May he live while the sun endures,
   and as long as the moon, throughout all generations.
May he be like rain that falls on the mown grass,
   like showers that water the earth.
In his days may righteousness flourish
   and peace abound, until the moon is no more.

May the kings of Tarshish and of the isles
   render him tribute,
may the kings of Sheba and Seba
   bring gifts.
May all kings fall down before him,
   all nations give him service.

For he delivers the needy when they call,
   the poor and those who have no helper.
He has pity on the weak and the needy,
   and saves the lives of the needy.
From oppression and violence he redeems their life;
   and precious is their blood in his sight.

Reflection
Psalm by Bill Lynch

Lord God, you bring order and safety.
   You put the moon on track and arrange the stars.
You set the seasons in order and bring life.
   All creation depends on your life and love.

In your order you grant peace.
   Peace that all may live as one.
Life that brings hope and joy and salvation.
   You give rest and renewal day by day.

You are the everlasting God.
   Faithful to your people.
We flourish in your Light and grow.
   All the earth depends on you alone.

As baptismal waters wash over us,
   we live to your glory and honor.
You move through us and in us,
   and we live our lives for you.

Blessing you give to the poor and needy.
   Our hearts open wide in compassion.
Compassion you have shown through the Savior,
   who blesses all with hope and life and faith.

All glory and honor and praise to you,
   Our King and Savior and Creator.
May your Spirit envelope all our actions,
   as we live to serve and love today and always.

Prayer
You are King dear Lord. King of my life and my heart. Dwell in me this day that I may serve you and those you give to me... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: