Friday, January 04, 2013

January 4th Reflection by Bill Lynch



Matthew 2:1-12
The Visit of the Wise Men

In the time of King Herod, after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea, wise men from the East came to Jerusalem, asking, ‘Where is the child who has been born king of the Jews? For we observed his star at its rising, and have come to pay him homage.’ When King Herod heard this, he was frightened, and all Jerusalem with him; and calling together all the chief priests and scribes of the people, he inquired of them where the Messiah was to be born. They told him, ‘In Bethlehem of Judea; for so it has been written by the prophet:
“And you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah,
   are by no means least among the rulers of Judah;
for from you shall come a ruler
   who is to shepherd my people Israel.” ’

 Then Herod secretly called for the wise men and learned from them the exact time when the star had appeared. Then he sent them to Bethlehem, saying, ‘Go and search diligently for the child; and when you have found him, bring me word so that I may also go and pay him homage.’ When they had heard the king, they set out; and there, ahead of them, went the star that they had seen at its rising, until it stopped over the place where the child was. When they saw that the star had stopped, they were overwhelmed with joy. On entering the house, they saw the child with Mary his mother; and they knelt down and paid him homage. Then, opening their treasure-chests, they offered him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. And having been warned in a dream not to return to Herod, they left for their own country by another road.

Reflection
The time had come just as I was told. I was told that some day my time would come and I would shine brightly. I would shine not due to my own light, but due to the light from within me and the light that reflects from me. I was told that when the time was just right the bright light that came from within me and through me would point to something that all things would want to see. I was told all of this by my Creator. That time had come and boy was the Light great.

I could see everything below me. The Light in me shown so brightly at the time decided by the Creator, that I could see clearly all of the happenings on the earth that was many thousands of miles below me. I could see the birth of a Child in a small town on earth. I could see the progress of some men travelling from east on this earth. These men were following the Light coming from me. I was like a big spotlight that shown on the most important thing that would ever happen in the universe. So, these men followed that Light until they arrived where the Child was living.

Then I saw these men give gifts to the Child. They worshiped the Child. The men knew something great had taken place but really didn't understand the full impact of it all. But I could tell even from this great distance of mine that they too had received a Light that would shine from within and reflect out. They too had seen the Savior and there time had come just as my time had come and the Child's time had come, at just the perfect moment.

Even from this distance of mine, I could see it. All who saw this Child had a glow of Light from within their hearts that shown from within. And the Light of this Child reflected from these people throughout all the world. The Light that was life and love bringing deep joy to all people.

Prayer
Lord, may your Light shine brightly from within me and through me that all the world may come to you and believe in you as Savior and King... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: