Friday, January 25, 2013

January 25th Reflection by Bill Lynch



Luke 4:14-21
The Beginning of the Galilean Ministry

 Then Jesus, filled with the power of the Spirit, returned to Galilee, and a report about him spread through all the surrounding country. He began to teach in their synagogues and was praised by everyone.

The Rejection of Jesus at Nazareth

 When he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, he went to the synagogue on the sabbath day, as was his custom. He stood up to read, and the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was given to him. He unrolled the scroll and found the place where it was written:
‘The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
   because he has anointed me
     to bring good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives
   and recovery of sight to the blind,
     to let the oppressed go free,
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favour.’
And he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant, and sat down. The eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on him. Then he began to say to them, ‘Today this scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing.’

Reflection
He unrolled me that day. He unrolled me and opened me up. I was exposed to his eyes. Exposed and made known in front of all those people present that day. And then he cast his eyes upon a few of the words written upon me. He read the Word. The Word read the Word. The Word made me known to those present. The Word spoke of anointing. The Word spoke of release. The Word spoke of sight to the blind and freedom of the oppressed. The Word spoke the Word that day.

I was opened to his eyes and his mouth spoke the Word. The Word flowed from me through the Word and into the hearts and minds of those present that day. How would they take it? Would they get, that in their presence the Word spoke the Word?

He unrolled me that day. He unrolled me and opened me up. I was exposed to his eyes.

Prayer
Jesus, as I hear your Word, as I see your Word, may your Word become active through your love in my life... today... tomorrow... and forever. ---Amen

No comments: