Wednesday, January 02, 2013

January 2nd Reflection by Bill Lynch



Ephesians 3:1-12
Paul’s Ministry to the Gentiles

This is the reason that I Paul am a prisoner for Christ Jesus for the sake of you Gentiles— for surely you have already heard of the commission of God’s grace that was given to me for you, and how the mystery was made known to me by revelation, as I wrote above in a few words, a reading of which will enable you to perceive my understanding of the mystery of Christ. In former generations this mystery was not made known to humankind, as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit: that is, the Gentiles have become fellow-heirs, members of the same body, and sharers in the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel.

 Of this gospel I have become a servant according to the gift of God’s grace that was given to me by the working of his power. Although I am the very least of all the saints, this grace was given to me to bring to the Gentiles the news of the boundless riches of Christ, and to make everyone see what is the plan of the mystery hidden for ages in God who created all things; so that through the church the wisdom of God in its rich variety might now be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly places. This was in accordance with the eternal purpose that he has carried out in Christ Jesus our Lord, in whom we have access to God in boldness and confidence through faith in him.

Reflection
This is a picture of my grand-dog Abraham in a cage. It reminds me of this passage. Abe is in the cage but the cage door is open. He is in prison yet he is really free.

I am and you are prisoners. We are prisoners for Christ. It's easier to think that I'm a prisoner to sin but that's not true any longer. What Jesus has done for all of us, is to free us from sin. We are free from sin due to the life, ministry, healing, suffering, death and resurrection of Jesus. Jesus paid our price for sin.

So, do you accept this act of Jesus as a gift freely given? You can turn and run from this gift. You can throw it to the ground and stomp on it if you wish. Or, you can take the gift God has given to you in Jesus, open it and accept the surprise and mystery and awe that it will bring to you into eternity. It seems like an obvious decision at this point. However, in accepting this gift, you will respond. Some don't wish to accept this gift because they want to do everything on their own. They don't want to feel obligated to return something else for the gift given to them. They are independent. They fear their response.

But, we were made for God and made for one another. We need God and we need one another.

Through this gift of Jesus, we discover that God loves us before our sin and even more amazing is that God loved us during our sin. God had it all worked out before we even began. God worked out our salvation through Jesus from the start. A love so deep that God set forth a plan to save us from our selfishness and paid the price. God loves us!

How else could we respond to this grace that frees us from the bondage of sin. We respond with love towards God and love towards one another. We have received the gift and joy and hope lights up our face and our lives with God and one another.

But, wait a minute. We still struggle with sin. God let's us struggle with sin. God let's us smell the stench of sin so that we can see God's plan. God's plan of redemption takes us through the struggle with sin to Jesus. We need God in our struggle. We can't win this battle on our own. But, thanks be to God, we have Jesus by our side in the struggle to win the day for us.

You see, God loves the sinners too. God just doesn't love the righteous, God loves the sinners and makes a plan of salvation for sinners too.

This plan is the only way we can stand before God. We stand before God because of what Jesus has done for us. And God sees Jesus. Thanks be to God!

So, am I going to stay in the cage? Or am I going to venture out in the love of God through Christ Jesus?

Prayer
Lord Jesus, you have come to me and I accept the gift. You paid a price that I could never pay on my own. I see your love and am overjoyed. As I love you may that love shine through me to those you give to me this day in active love towards each other... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I always receive a blessing from reading your reflections. We never can appreciate the Grace and Love of God too much! Thanks, Bill Your Friend in Christ, Mike Wagner

Unknown said...

Your reflections are a blessing, Bill. Thanks for doing this. We never can appreciate the grace and love of God enough. Friends in Christ, Mike Wagner