Monday, April 29, 2013

April 29th Reflection by Bill Lynch



Acts 16:9-15

During the night Paul had a vision: there stood a man of Macedonia pleading with him and saying, “Come over to Macedonia and help us.” When he had seen the vision, we immediately tried to cross over to Macedonia, being convinced that God had called us to proclaim the good news to them. We set sail from Troas and took a straight course to Samothrace, the following day to Neapolis, and from there to Philippi, which is a leading city of the district of Macedonia and a Roman colony. We remained in this city for some days. On the sabbath day we went outside the gate by the river, where we supposed there was a place of prayer; and we sat down and spoke to the women who had gathered there. A certain woman named Lydia, a worshiper of God, was listening to us; she was from the city of Thyatira and a dealer in purple cloth. The Lord opened her heart to listen eagerly to what was said by Paul. When she and her household were baptized, she urged us, saying, “If you have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come and stay at my home.” And she prevailed upon us.

Reflection
Lydia's heart was opened to listen to Paul. She opened her heart and was baptized. Lydia and her household were baptized. God had called Paul and his companions to a different place and they followed that call to Macedonia. Paul had been given a message and was called to take that message to a place. At that place, Lydia would listen.

Yesterday, I was taken to a place by my daughter to open my heart and listen. I went to Christ the King Lutheran Church in West Chester Ohio to hear a concert by Bradley Sowash. Bradley Sowash is a concert jazz pianist and has been a guest on the PBS Show "Piano Guy." Similar to Lydia, I wasn't sure what I was in for, nor was I sure I even wanted to attend. Go, I did. I opened my heart to listen to Bradley Sowash.

How glad I was for this gift from God. I witnessed a gifted man, with imagination and skill in making music, bring a vision to life through each unique piece. I heard a honeybee in the fields. I heard the combined music of jazz and classical music from heaven. I went sailing on a boat. I went to a seaside and witnessed all of the hustle and bustle of the market and the action by the sea. Bradley Sowash, with his gift of creative thinking, mixed with the piano, created a vision through sound.

I think Paul was gifted in this same manner, when he spoke about Jesus. Paul was given a vision of Jesus on the road to Damascus. Jesus appeared to Paul and Paul's life was changed. This was a turning moment and a test by fire for Paul. Paul would change quickly and become an apostle for Jesus. With imagination and skill in speaking, Paul took the message of salvation through Jesus to those places that God would direct him to go. Paul, like Bradley Sowash, used the gifts that God had given him to speak a message and paint a picture of salvation. What did Lydia need to do?

Open her heart and listen. Lydia along with her household opened up and listened. Listened and received an unexpected gift of love and salvation. Jesus gives each of us unique gifts. As we use these gifts to the glory of God, may the hearts of those we meet in those places that God sends us be opened to hear a unique message of blessing and salvation through Jesus.

Prayer
Lord, when I listen, I am surprised and overjoyed with the message you present. Use me and the gifts you have given me to tell the message you have for me to tell to those you give to me... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: