Friday, April 05, 2013

April 5th Reflection by Bill Lynch



John 20:19-31

When it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and the doors of the house where the disciples had met were locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you.” After he said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” When he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.” But Thomas (who was called the Twin), one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord.” But he said to them, “Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands, and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side, I will not believe.”

A week later his disciples were again in the house, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were shut, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you.” Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here and see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it in my side. Do not doubt but believe.” Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!” Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe.” Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book. But these are written so that you may come to believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that through believing you may have life in his name.

Reflection
It was the most beautiful and fascinating thing I had ever experienced. It was just for a brief moment. It was for only a second, but it was for a second that lasts to eternity. It's so hard to explain the feeling. I'm not sure I can even begin to tell you. I know that I must tell you. It happened one week and then a week later it happened again.

Jesus came to visit his disciples. The first time I was even locked. The second time I was shut, but I'm not sure if the lock was applied. Jesus came to me. As Jesus approached, he walked up to me and this is where things were all different. So different! Instead of Jesus grabbing my handle, he walked up to me and THROUGH me! How about that! For just a moment in time Jesus and I were one. Jesus was in me and I was in him. I don't know how this could happen, but it did. And the feeling of it was amazing! Jesus came to me and was with me in such a close way. Jesus was with me and in me in the closest way possible.

My wooden structure somewhat embarrassed me at that moment. It was only days before that Jesus hung from another wooden structure until death. Jesus was able to look beyond the core of my wooden being and the pain I had caused him to glorify the wood in me and become one with me. How could he do this? Why would Jesus ever care about me to become one with me, especially after the cross fiasco. But Jesus did!

As Jesus entered the room, after passing in and through me, I witnessed Jesus do the same with his disciples present that evening. The first evening one of the disciples named Thomas was missing. I don't blame Thomas for wanting to experience this emotion, feeling, happening, occasion, or whatever it was, first hand. So the next week, Jesus did it all again. He passed through me and into his disciples.

Oh how things changed for me and for all the world. My wood... my wood in the cross and my wood in the door became a symbol of life. Jesus would come to the wood of the doors of so many of his disciples lives and pass through the door of their hearts. Jesus would pass through the door of the heart and come alive in the actions and faith and belief of disciples that day and forever.

You see, Jesus breathes on creation and the Holy Spirit comes to life and fills the room, the hearts, the lives and all the contents with God's deep love. A love that cherishes all creation and especially God's Children. A Love that saves and brings life. Jesus did not breathe his last on that wooden cross. It was more like he breathed a new beginning. A new chance for all of us. A chance to believe in God and live.

Yes, that evening and so many moments to come; the physical and the spiritual worlds united into a powerful force of love and life. It was the most beautiful and fascinating thing I had ever experienced. It was just for a brief moment. It was for only a second, but it was for a second that lasts to eternity.

Prayer
Lord; open wide the door of my heart. Pass right through it and breathe the Spirit of life into me, that I may love you, serve you and be your disciple... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: