Thursday, April 04, 2013

April 4th Reflection by Bill Lynch



John 20:19-31

When it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and the doors of the house where the disciples had met were locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you.” After he said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” When he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.” But Thomas (who was called the Twin), one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord.” But he said to them, “Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands, and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side, I will not believe.”

A week later his disciples were again in the house, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were shut, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you.” Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here and see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it in my side. Do not doubt but believe.” Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!” Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe.” Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book. But these are written so that you may come to believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that through believing you may have life in his name.

Reflection
We tend to shut ourselves in at times. Sometimes we shut ourselves in most of the time. We hide behind locked doors in fear of what may happen if we come out into the open. We hide; and in our stubborn way lock ourselves away from the rest of the world.

We tend to shut ourselves in at times. We know we are sinful and retreat inside the locked doors. We know that we are selfish and stay away. We can lock ourselves in so tight that nobody can get to us. Or, so we think.

Jesus died on that cross for a sinful, stubborn people just like me. Jesus died on that cross in order to draw me out from behind the locked doors of selfish pride, sinfulness and fear that I have so carefully barricaded myself in. Jesus died on that cross in order to draw me out. It wasn't an easy act either. It cost Jesus much pain and suffering. It caused Jesus to die in my sin.

We tend to shut ourselves in at times. All of us do it. But, thanks be to a resurrected Jesus, our God and Savior, that he is able to penetrate those locked doors and come to us. I fall in Jesus' presence and give thanks and praise that he rescued me from my own tomb of sin, death and the devil. Jesus came into my locked up place and showed me that even though he suffered and died, he is alive and well. Jesus came into my locked up place and showed me that he loves me no matter what. Jesus came into my locked up place and showed me that he alone is my Savior and he wants me to fully believe in all that God has done... for me... for you... and for the world.

 Although the doors were shut, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you.”

Prayer
Father; you have shown to all the world a love that penetrates the physical and opens the realm of all the spiritual, in love and salvation through your Son, Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior. Jesus has saved the world. Penetrate the locked doors that I hide behind and draw me out into the resurrected Light of Jesus... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: