Friday, June 14, 2013

June 14th Reflection by Bill Lynch


Galatians 2:15–21
15 We ourselves are Jews by birth and not Gentile sinners; 16 yet we know that a person is justified not by the works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ. And we have come to believe in Christ Jesus, so that we might be justified by faith in Christ, and not by doing the works of the law, because no one will be justified by the works of the law. 17 But if, in our effort to be justified in Christ, we ourselves have been found to be sinners, is Christ then a servant of sin? Certainly not! 18 But if I build up again the very things that I once tore down, then I demonstrate that I am a transgressor. 19 For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ; 20 and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21 I do not nullify the grace of God; for if justification comes through the law, then Christ died for nothing.

Reflection
We depend on Jesus. We depend completely on Jesus. We can't do enough to save ourselves. We can't obey all the law. We will fail. So when we turn to God and tell about all of the Law we have upheld, we will fall short. Once we think we have done it all for God and deserve salvation by what we have done we have fallen in this act alone.

So what do we do? We rely in faith on what Jesus has done for us. God grants us forgiveness and pardon not based on our action, but based on Jesus' action for us and in our place. Through faith God begins a new relationship with each of us. A relationship that puts sin behind and life in God ahead and before us.

Since we are born Gentiles we didn't stand a chance in the first place. But through Jesus we are wrapped into relationship with God. Through faith we are now God's children.

The Law is good, but to turn to the Law for salvation is misguided. We can't get to God through the Law. We can only gain our salvation through Jesus. We fall short of the Law. So when we think we can gain God's favor through the Law we disgrace the life of Jesus in his keeping of the Law, in his life, healing, ministry, suffering, crucifixion, death and resurrection. Jesus is that fulfillment of the Law that we could never obtain by anything we could ever do on our own.

In a sense, we were crucified on that cross with Jesus. In our faith we have placed all hope on Jesus. We are crucified and give our life to Jesus upon that cross. Our old life is gone and dead and a new life begins in Jesus. Our "self" no longer is the ruler of our life. Jesus is the ruler of our life. It's no longer about what I can do but about what Jesus has already done and about what Jesus does in and through me and you.

So, if we believe we can be justified before God by obedience to the Law, we deceive ourselves and have sinned. We are only justified before God through Jesus. All our trust, hope and faith are in Jesus Christ, our one and only Lord and Savior. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, it's so easy to want to do it all myself. It's so easy to believe yet impossible. I think that I am the answer and I get in the way of myself. I fail and am lost. So, I get up and try again only to fail again. I have this notion that I can get this right and will get it right and force myself. I know that I don't need you or anyone else. But it doesn't work that way. I'm in the way. So, I turn to you and see Jesus on that cross. I glance back and see myself on that cross. But Jesus felt all of the pain. Jesus became me on that cross and took on the punishment I deserved. Jesus saved me from myself. Jesus saved me from sin. Jesus saved me from death. And then came Sunday with Jesus resurrection. In me a new life begins, all through Jesus. How grateful I am for salvation. How grateful I am because I could never have done this on my own. A new life in me is growing and living and breathing. In me I feel your love... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: