Thursday, June 27, 2013

June 27th Reflection by Bill Lynch


Psalm 77:1–2, 11–20 
I cry aloud to God, aloud to God, that he may hear me.
In the day of my trouble I seek the Lord; in the night my hand is stretched out without wearying; my soul refuses to be comforted.

I will call to mind the deeds of the Lord; I will remember your wonders of old.
I will meditate on all your work, and muse on your mighty deeds.
Your way, O God, is holy. What god is so great as our God?
You are the God who works wonders; you have displayed your might among the peoples.
With your strong arm you redeemed your people, the descendants of Jacob and Joseph. Selah
When the waters saw you, O God, when the waters saw you, they were afraid; the very deep trembled.
The clouds poured out water; the skies thundered; your arrows flashed on every side.
The crash of your thunder was in the whirlwind; your lightnings lit up the world; the earth trembled and shook.
Your way was through the sea, your path, through the mighty waters; yet your footprints were unseen.
You led your people like a flock by the hand of Moses and Aaron.

Reflection
Sometimes all I can do is cry out to you O Lord.
I cry out in the night for your presence.
I cry out and beg for you to listen to me.
I cry out to you for your comfort and grace.

I know that you come to save your people.
I know how you have called me.
I know how you have gifted me.
I know your grace, yet hear my cry, O Lord!

And then I hear you and I remember.
I remember how you hovered over the waters of chaos.
I remember how you saved Isaac with your grace.
I remember how you rescued the slaves.

Yes, Lord, I remember how you saved Joseph.
I remember how you forgave David.
I remember all the times of salvation.
Salvation in the days of old.

I remember your Son, Jesus,
I remember the healing and teaching.
I remember the praying and the dying.
I remember the saving and the resurrection.

I remember those you give to me.
I remember their accounts of your grace.
I remember how you forgive me and save me.
I remember your presence here and now.

You are my salvation.
You are the salvation for all people.
You have saved my friends and come to my neighbors.
Lord, I hear, I remember, I glorify you.

Prayer
Lord, there are times when I think you aren't present in this world. But then I recall your presence and your Word flowing through friends. I recall your Word written for all to see. I remember how you come to your people in the sacraments. Yes, Lord, you are present... but sometimes I'm not... forgive me. As I go out into this world that you have set me in, may I remember your Word spoken through a friend, may I remember your Word written in Holy Scripture, may I remember your presence in the sacraments. Lord, I go this day, with you present and in the grace of redemption to those you give to me. May I help them remember your gracious redemption... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: