Sunday, June 30, 2013

June 30th Reflection by Bill Lynch


Luke 9:51–62
When the days drew near for him to be taken up, he set his face to go to Jerusalem. And he sent messengers ahead of him. On their way they entered a village of the Samaritans to make ready for him; but they did not receive him, because his face was set toward Jerusalem. When his disciples James and John saw it, they said, “Lord, do you want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them?” But he turned and rebuked them. Then they went on to another village.

As they were going along the road, someone said to him, “I will follow you wherever you go.” And Jesus said to him, “Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.” To another he said, “Follow me.” But he said, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.” But Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God.” Another said, “I will follow you, Lord; but let me first say farewell to those at my home.” Jesus said to him, “No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.”

Reflection
God comes down to this world in the form of flesh, in Jesus. God comes to this world, but it seems the very people Jesus comes to save, for the most part, are the people that reject him. This passage makes me think of how Jesus was in this world but not really of this world. Jesus was from heaven and sent to this world. So, while in this world, in some way he was home but in other ways he was away. Away from heaven.

Sounds pretty confusing to me as I try to form words around this thought. Jesus realized, it seems, that even though people wanted to follow him, they hadn't a clue as to what they were really committing themselves to. Do any of us that say we follow Jesus have any idea? I think that we may have a hint, but we really don't know that much. We are following out of obedience, we are following out of trust, we are following out of hope, we are following in faith.

Jesus himself was rejected in this world. Jesus himself had no place to lay his head. Jesus himself was not at home. Jesus was away from home. Jesus came on a trip to save you and me. Jesus home was heaven and to heaven he has returned. But, oh what a story he left in this place. Oh, what a Spirit he left to lead and guide us in our journey on this world and towards eternal life in heaven.

If Jesus hadn't left his home and came to us, we would truly be left behind. But God loves each of us so much that he gives us chance after chance after chance to turn and follow him. Even if the following may be tough. Even if we have to leave some of the things and feelings of this world and focus on the following of Jesus; we are given chance after chance after chance.

God didn't take any chances with us. God came to us in Jesus to save us. Jesus, determined, focused and on a mission to save the very people he created. Jesus came to save the people that he gave minds of their own to decide who to follow.

Wouldn't we be foolish not to turn and follow? Take a chance! What do you really have to lose?

Prayer
Lord, forgive me when I look back. I know... what greater thing do I really have to do than to follow you. Forgive my selfish desires and lead me where you would have me go... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: