Saturday, June 08, 2013

June 8th Reflection by Bill Lynch


Galatians 1:11–24
11 For I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the gospel that was proclaimed by me is not of human origin; 12 for I did not receive it from a human source, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ. 13 You have heard, no doubt, of my earlier life in Judaism. I was violently persecuting the church of God and was trying to destroy it. 14 I advanced in Judaism beyond many among my people of the same age, for I was far more zealous for the traditions of my ancestors. 15 But when God, who had set me apart before I was born and called me through his grace, was pleased 16 to reveal his Son to me, so that I might proclaim him among the Gentiles, I did not confer with any human being, 17 nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were already apostles before me, but I went away at once into Arabia, and afterwards I returned to Damascus. 18 Then after three years I did go up to Jerusalem to visit Cephas and stayed with him fifteen days; 19 but I did not see any other apostle except James the Lord's brother. 20 In what I am writing to you, before God, I do not lie! 21 Then I went into the regions of Syria and Cilicia, 22 and I was still unknown by sight to the churches of Judea that are in Christ; 23 they only heard it said, "The one who formerly was persecuting us is now proclaiming the faith he once tried to destroy." 24 And they glorified God because of me.

Reflection
The gospel doesn't come from me or any other human on this earth today. The Gospel comes from only one God and through one man and that man is Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior. Don't look for the gospel of a person other than the Gospel of Christ. Paul stresses this in the passage above.

We are witnesses to the Gospel, we are not the gospel itself. Jesus reveals himself to us on his terms and in his way. We don't control how Jesus reveals himself to us. God determines this. Sometimes when I pray I limit God to only a few minutes to reveal his Word to me. Who do I think I am? God will reveal himself to me when and at the time God chooses, not the time allotment that I provide!

We receive the Gospel. We receive the Gospel when and where God chooses to give it to us. It's not ours to control. But the Gospel will come. It always has come to the people of God that wait in the faith and hope and love of God. We wait, trusting in the grace of God to come to us. We wait in anticipation of the love that God has shown so many people past, present and future. We wait on the revelation of Jesus in our lives. We wait and listen and pray and seek God at every turn and every corner and every place.

Yes, God set Paul apart before Paul existed in the flesh. And God sets each of his children apart. God set you apart and me apart before our flesh was formed. God picked the time that he would reveal himself to each one of us. God chooses the Gift and the means of giving. "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God-- not the results of works, so that no one may boast." (Ephesians 2:8-9).

Paul's conversion was through grace and your conversion and my conversion are by the grace of God. When God reveals himself to you... look out! You are on fire with curiosity and wonder and amazement. The Gospel becomes your message in your life. You begin to live, really live. I've recounted my first memory of Jesus revealing himself to me many times in this blog. At the age of five or six, through a dream or a memory or something else, I recall Jesus coming to the door of our house on Washington Street in Sidney Ohio. Jesus was accompanied by Moses, Elijah and some other person. Did I as a young person perhaps hear the transfiguration story? I don't know. I don't remember and I don't think it matters. I remember Jesus, not asking to come in, like the picture of Jesus knocking at the door, but rather Jesus asking me, "Can Billy come out to play?" This is how I remember Jesus revealing himself to me. Jesus revealing himself that time and so many times to come that I can't count them. Jesus revealing himself to me not because of anything I had done, but Jesus revealing himself to me on Jesus terms and conditions.

Then years of growth. Growth in the gospel maintained by a mother and father faithful to uphold baptismal promises made on July 15th 1956 to bring their new Child of God to church and provide instruction in the Word, the Sacraments and the Bible. Years of growth that continued to the time that at Bethlehem Lutheran Church in Middletown Ohio on May 17th 1970 when I stood before a congregation of believers and proclaimed my belief in all that God had chosen to give to me in baptism and in life. A time when I took responsibility for what I had been taught in life by so many people about faith in God, and professed that faith with my own mouth and my own soul and my own mind. A time that Jesus once again revealed to me that the Gospel was alive and well and living in the life of myself and the Church. A time that was once again a beginning, or more like a continuing of Billy going out to play with Jesus in the world in which God would set me day after day in his grace and love. A world that would include Jesus, a world that would include other's of faith, a world that would include friends. Jesus at my door with Moses, Elijah and some other guy. Some other guy that came to be those God would give to me throughout my life. All inviting Billy to come out and play.

So, what about Paul and the passage above? Jesus was revealed to Paul and Paul went! He went to where God chose to send him in the way God chooses. Paul called and set apart before he even became flesh. You are called and set apart as well. I am called and set apart. So, we wait, we listen, we pray and we go. We go in the grace of God and the Gospel revealed to us through Jesus. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, I wait, I listen, I wonder and I look for you. I look knowing that you have set me apart. I listen to hear your voice when you are ready to speak. I seek your will and your way daily in my life that I may bring glory and honor and praise to you... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: