Friday, June 07, 2013

June 7th Reflection by Bill Lynch


Luke 7:11–17
11 Soon afterwards he went to a town called Nain, and his disciples and a large crowd went with him. 12 As he approached the gate of the town, a man who had died was being carried out. He was his mother's only son, and she was a widow; and with her was a large crowd from the town. 13 When the Lord saw her, he had compassion for her and said to her, "Do not weep." 14 Then he came forward and touched the bier, and the bearers stood still. And he said, "Young man, I say to you, rise!" 15 The dead man sat up and began to speak, and Jesus gave him to his mother. 16 Fear seized all of them; and they glorified God, saying, "A great prophet has risen among us!" and "God has looked favorably on his people!" 17 This word about him spread throughout Judea and all the surrounding country.

Reflection
Nain probably wasn't much of a town. Some people even doubt that the town had a gate, but a gate was common to understanding that Nain was a town. The thought that Jesus comes to even the least of towns appeals to me. I think Jesus would even come to the smallest and most insignificant of people also. Jesus comes to you and to me and meets us at the edge of town. He meets us at the gates of our lives and comes to us. And even more, he comes to us when we are dead. Jesus comes to us in our death and brings new life to us, right at the gate of the city.

Prayer
Lord Jesus come this day to the gate of my day, my heart, my place of being and give me life, I pray. Come to me and heal me as only you can heal. Come to me that I may go. Come that I may go in peace and proclaim the glory of all that you have done for all people... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: