Saturday, July 19, 2014

July 19th Reflection by Bill Lynch


Romans 8:12-25
 So then, brothers and sisters, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh— for if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God. For you did not receive a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received a spirit of adoption. When we cry, ‘Abba! Father!’ it is that very Spirit bearing witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs, heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ—if, in fact, we suffer with him so that we may also be glorified with him.
 I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory about to be revealed to us. For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the children of God; for the creation was subjected to futility, not of its own will but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to decay and will obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. We know that the whole creation has been groaning in labour pains until now; and not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the first fruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly while we wait for adoption, the redemption of our bodies. For in hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what is seen? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.

Reflection
Now to the plastic face of myself. I must admit that I can't bring sin under control in my life by my own reason or strength. To many Lutherans this may sound a little familiar. This is in the New Testament people's way of thinking what the Romans brought. That we can control ourselves by reason. I also admit that I can't bring sin under control in my life by obeying the Law. This is what the Jewish community would have thought. Plain and simple I can't bring sin under control in my life by anything that I say or do. If I believe that I can; I may as well just put on the plastic face and smile away to all around me and live the fake life of a "saved" Christian. Don't those people just get under your skin though? Get real!

The words of Luther's explanation to the Third Article of the Apostles Creed ring true in my ear at this point. Was it because this is what I was always taught? Maybe, but after many years of thought I have come to believe the truth of Luther's words. I can't do this on my own (my words). I can't get it with out God's help (my words). "But the Holy Spirit has called me through the Gospel, enlightened me with gifts, and sanctified and kept me in true faith." (Luther's words)

If I live according to the flesh by my own reasoning and strength, by keeping the Law, then I will die. But if I live according to the Spirit, putting to death the deeds of the flesh... the Spirit... not me... will grant me life. I can be honest with myself and with those around me, yes, even those in the Church and take off that smiling plastic face and get real.

I'm sinful yet sanctified through God. I no longer need to fear my sinfulness and fear the judgment of those around me because I know and live in the hope of the Spirit that I have been saved by God, not by myself or any plastic smiling face I wear. This is real! This is hope! This is why I can stand judged before man as condemned and sinful. This is why I can stand before God and call out to my Savior and live out the calling the Spirit has called me to in using the gifts that the Spirit of God has entrusted to me to live life on this earth and look towards my heavenly life in hope. It's not about me or my smiling, plastic, face. It's about Jesus and his pure loving face and about the Spirit that has come to me to lead me and guide me through this life I live in Christ and in the Spirit all to the glory of God.

Yes, my sin hurts me and hurts those around me. Yes, my sin has an impact far and wide. But I know that I have a God that has taken care of all that. I have a God that has defeated sin, death and the devil. I have a God that knows that I am flesh and earth and knows from where I come and knows the sin within me, yet still chooses to love me and save me and fill me with the Spirit. So, I live in hope.

"We know that the whole creation has been groaning in labour pains until now; and not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the first fruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly while we wait for adoption, the redemption of our bodies. For in hope we were saved."

It is by this I stand. By this I remove the plastic, smiling, face and live in the hope of God. It is by this that I can live my life as a sinner and a saint and smile for what God has done for... yes, even me. Thanks be to God!

Song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF5RAlBt50s

Prayer
Lord, may I live my life in the hope that only you can give... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: