Monday, July 21, 2014

July 21st Reflection by Bill Lynch


1 Kings 3:5-12
At Gibeon the Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream by night; and God said, ‘Ask what I should give you.’ And Solomon said, ‘You have shown great and steadfast love to your servant my father David, because he walked before you in faithfulness, in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart towards you; and you have kept for him this great and steadfast love, and have given him a son to sit on his throne today. And now, O Lord my God, you have made your servant king in place of my father David, although I am only a little child; I do not know how to go out or come in. And your servant is in the midst of the people whom you have chosen, a great people, so numerous they cannot be numbered or counted. Give your servant therefore an understanding mind to govern your people, able to discern between good and evil; for who can govern this your great people?’

 It pleased the Lord that Solomon had asked this. God said to him, ‘Because you have asked this, and have not asked for yourself long life or riches, or for the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern what is right, I now do according to your word. Indeed I give you a wise and discerning mind; no one like you has been before you and no one like you shall arise after you.

Reflection
Ask what I should give you. What if God were to ask me such a question. How would I respond? It's not as easy as you think at first. You must pause and give thought. Is God like a wishing well? What if I really get what I ask for and what I ask for is not what I thought I was going to get?

Solomon considered the position he had been placed in by his father, David. Solomon was now a king over the chosen people of God. So, Solomon knew he needed help in governing these people who at times could be stubborn. Solomon requested wisdom to handle the situation in which he was placed. Solomon asked for an understanding mind to govern God's people and the ability to discern between good and evil.

God granted Solomon his wish. Some of the wish was turned to evil as Solomon fell to the trap of sexual lust and power with the wisdom he was granted. I don't think Solomon had seen this part of his wish coming at the time of the question. Ask what I should give you...

What a generous question God proposes. How the question in itself displays the love of God and God's vast power and generosity and love. God shows Solomon and all of us love beyond our imagination and even beyond our expectation. Ask what I should give you...

Let's look at what Solomon does right with this question. First he humbles himself before God. Solomon realizes that his position is not a result of his own effort or strength. Solomon was not in line to receive the throne, he was given this position. Solomon also humbles himself by admitting that he was lacking in understanding and young and new to this great job. I think Solomon also knew that he needed to listen to God and listen carefully. God had given Solomon his Chosen People to care for and to govern.

Ask what I should give you... So we consider what Solomon asked and now I consider what I would ask. I would ask for God's blessings. God's blessings in how I think and act and love for those God has given to me. God's blessings in teaching me what to say and what to do. God's blessings in how to be compassionate and caring for all God's people. God's blessings in saving me and all people. God's blessings in forgiveness and forgiving. God's blessings in living and loving. Yes... for me... I would ask for God's blessings in my earthly life, that would take me on a journey with God here and now and forever... wherever that may lead.

Think about it.... What if God were to come to you and propose ... Ask what I should give you...

Humorous Clip
Be careful what you wish for... it may not be what you expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkU9FAxUE1Q


Prayer
Lord, I ask for you to teach me, lead me, guide me and take me along in this life. I ask for you to bless me with your presence... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: