Saturday, July 05, 2014

July 5th Reflection by Bill Lynch


Matthew 11:16-19, 25-30
 ‘But to what will I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market-places and calling to one another,
“We played the flute for you, and you did not dance;
   we wailed, and you did not mourn.”
For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, “He has a demon”; the Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, “Look, a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax-collectors and sinners!” Yet wisdom is vindicated by her deeds.’
 At that time Jesus said, ‘I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and the intelligent and have revealed them to infants; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.

 ‘Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.’

Reflection
Have you ever met someone that comes off like they've got the world whipped? The act like it's all together, the perfect family, the perfect house, the perfect job, they go to the perfect church and they think they have the answer to every question you ever could ask. Every question has such an easy and simple answer that you feel embarrassed that you ever asked. Have you ever met someone like this?

Sometimes these people think they don't even need God. Why? Why would they want God to step into the middle this great life they live and mess it all up? Have you ever met someone like this? I'm sure you have. I, at first glance, look at these people, of whom I've only met a couple, and think, what's so different here? What's so different between their life and mine? Why do I struggle with an incurable disease? Why doesn't my family act like theirs? Why do I seem to be so human and earthly in comparison? And then it hits me!

In my own crude way it hits me! I think of a comedy act I saw once by George Carlin, while listening to someone tell their story he pauses and then realizes... within 8 seconds he realizes... "He's full of shit!"

Sometimes we may be on a run of everything going just fine, but it won't last. The perfect fun filled, never painful, never sick, everything is just fine life didn't exist for Jesus so why should I expect it to exist for me? If I act like it does well then... I'm full of shit. The people look at Jesus and expect him to make everything just wonderful. Jesus did come into this world to make everything wonderful, but that would come at a great cost. A cost so great that Jesus would give his life. Sure, everything will be wonderful, but until that day we are here in this place to live this life in the midst of an evil and fallen world and proclaim that Jesus came to save all the people. But first we must take a yoke upon ourselves and learn from Jesus.

John the baptist looked for people to repent and turn from their sin. How many refused? Jesus looked for people to join the wedding feast, but many would not come. The people just sat around and did nothing! What's wrong with us? Why don't we do either? All we seem to want to do is sit on either side and yell at one another and nothing is accomplished. Both sides of the table seem to claim righteousness, yet nothing is accomplished on earth. And then both sides pat themselves on the back and claim that they are right, yet nothing is done. And we still have the same people that are burdened and carrying the heavy load. If George Carlin were to look at either side for 8 seconds he would declare to each side... "He's full of shit!"

But Jesus, in this passage, looks to the babies rather than the "wise and understanding." Jesus hears those who proclaim to have the answer to the "perfect" life and proclaims in so many words what George Carlin proclaims. The real revelation comes to the stupid, not the self-proclaimed wise. In simple mindedness you find yourself humble and open minded to God. You don't think you know the answer to all life. You know you need God and you depend on God to care for you and to save you. Just like an infant... We NEED God! Oh, how we need God!

It's in these people, these infants, these people on the fringes, these strangers to our congregations, the prisoners, the homeless, the suffering, the poor, the ill, the dying, that we learn to humble ourselves and see and hear the presence of God. These people who have taken Jesus' yoke upon themselves and have figured out that it's not about being all knowing, or about having the perfect life, or about being the most prosperous, successful person on this planet that we gain God, but rather in our struggles and flaws that we gain Jesus walk and presence with us every step of the way. Yes, these people are the ones that God comes to save in and through Jesus.

Heaven is made real through real acts of love and compassion and the giving of a life and one's life to God. It's not in the sayings and the pretending to have it all figured out. Heaven is real in the dirt and the stench of life here on earth with the knowledge that Jesus lived this life on earth and will take us to be with him in heaven.

So, don't act like you have it all together and have all the answers... You don't! Only God does and you must listen and follow the One God sent in Jesus and the Spirit God sent in the Holy Spirit to lead and guide you. You can't have all the answers and you can't save yourself. That's God's work, not yours!

So I look to live my life and try not to stumble into that 8 seconds that George Carlin proclaims but rather live the down and dirty life God has called me to live with all those outside the Church, that many may come to believe in the One God sent as their Savior in Jesus.

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UecRfBJ2LBM

Prayer
Lord, teach me to be the one you send to the homeless, the poor, the hungry, the prisoner, the dying, the ill, the needy, the weary and those who carry a heavy burden. Teach me humility. Teach me compassion and love and understanding and forgiveness and sacrifice. Teach me your will and your way in my life that I may please you in the way you desire... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: