Friday, July 04, 2014

July 4th Reflection by Bill Lynch


Romans 7:15-25a
I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. Now if I do what I do not want, I agree that the law is good. But in fact it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me. For I know that nothing good dwells within me, that is, in my flesh. I can will what is right, but I cannot do it. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me.

 So I find it to be a law that when I want to do what is good, evil lies close at hand. For I delight in the law of God in my inmost self, but I see in my members another law at war with the law of my mind, making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, with my mind I am a slave to the law of God, but with my flesh I am a slave to the law of sin.

Reflection
Here Paul puts into words the struggle of so much of humanity. The struggle with sin. I can't tell you how many times that I did something that I knew I shouldn't do and didn't want to do but did it anyway because I thought it was going to be the right thing to do. Another way of putting this is that I can't tell you how many times I rationalized what I knew was wrong into something good just because I didn't want to admit to myself that it was wrong. Or how about those multiple times something would "set me off" and stuff would come out of my mouth that wasn't anything like the stuff that I wished would come out. Afterwards you realize all of the awful things you said but afterwards is too late, all that foul stuff was already out. How I wish some of that stuff would just stay out on the floor in front of me and rot!

Paul is honest with himself. Paul realizes as do I that I am sinful. Yet, working within me is something just the opposite of sin. Something is working within me that points me to the law and tells me that this is the way to live and talk and act. Something awful is within me along with something wonderful within me and there is a battle going on in the very core of my being and spirit.

As I live my life and walk with God I begin to realize through God's Word, the Sacraments and God active in this world and in me that God planned for my rescue from this battle. In fact God fought this same battle and won. God sent Jesus to this world, to the Church, and to me individually as a human flesh victor over the battle with sin, death and the devil. Jesus gave his very life in my place for this victory. Jesus is my only hope and only rescue over this battle that I have with sin inside of me.

Even as I live my life today and walk with Jesus, I realize that sin still exists in this world and sin still exists in me. But I also realize that Jesus, the one I walk with is taking me through this struggle to be with him in eternity. Jesus is going to walk me through this sin and show me the life he has planned for me. It's Jesus that rescues me and all of us and it's Jesus that will come again to raise the dead and take the living to be with him. Do you believe this? Search the Word. Experience the Sacraments. Look and listen for the whisper and the fire of the Holy Spirit and you will come to believe. You will come to believe, not because you sought it out and not because you proved it all yourself. No, you will come to believe because you will find out that God has freely and graciously given you this gift of Jesus. You will come to believe because you don't have to do anything to believe but to look, listen and accept what God has freely given to you in Jesus. That is you will come to believe and live in hope because of what God has done.

And then... and then... you will realize what God has done and the sin that lives in you will not become the focus of your life. Rather the focus in your life, even in the midst of your sin, will become living out the hope and love and joy of Jesus all in response to what God has done for you. In the end, you will find that it's not about you or your battle with sin. It's not about your awful words or terrible actions. It's about God living and working and shaping you... all from the inside out. I think this is what Paul expresses about the human condition of sin. What a wonderful change to experience! What a freedom to have! What a joy we have in Jesus!

Song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SCorW9r_Is

Prayer
Lord, as I live this life, keep my focus on you and your will and your way. Teach me when I sin and correct me when I don't act as you would have me act and show me how to live the love and compassion and caring that you have for all people... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: