Sunday, July 06, 2014

July 6th Reflection by Bill Lynch


Matthew 11:16-19, 25-30
 ‘But to what will I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market-places and calling to one another,
“We played the flute for you, and you did not dance;
   we wailed, and you did not mourn.”
For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, “He has a demon”; the Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, “Look, a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax-collectors and sinners!” Yet wisdom is vindicated by her deeds.’
 At that time Jesus said, ‘I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and the intelligent and have revealed them to infants; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.

 ‘Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.’

Reflection
It was such a fog of a memory on one hand, yet on another, the vision seemed so clear and repeatable. We had worked hard all that night. And it all happened just like you have heard it would happen. I remember being with my son in the basement. Yes, it sounded like a train coming and then the crash and the destruction. As we came up the basement steps, suddenly we noticed a light rain and daylight. The roof of the house was gone. Really much of the house was gone with it, but Tom and I were both safe.

We walked outside and heard voices shouting from what seemed a great distance. Shouts for help. Shouts of pain. You can tell the difference. Dogs barking and running around free. So, Tom and I followed the voices. It was one after another it seemed. We would work together and clear debris and pull someone out of the rubble. Soon, the fire department and police arrived. It was getting dark and hard to see anything. But Tom and I continued to help the fire fighters, the paramedics, neighbors and the police, follow the voices of those in pain and pull them free.

We worked late into the dark of the night until we couldn't hear another voice. Yet we still wondered if somewhere there may have been a whimper, even a plea for help. As we scoured the neighborhood and listened closely we became aware that for tonight we had accomplished all that we could.

It was now time to seek shelter for ourselves. Tom and I stared at one another wondering what to do next. We were alone in this town. We were new to this town. We were tired and exhausted and weary and worn out from the work of the night. We were nervous and upset with all that had occurred in just a couple of hours. And then we saw and heard something.

It seemed like a shadow, yet the voice became clear. It was a voice bidding us to come. Much like we had been calling out to all of those voices in the night that we had pulled from the wreckage of homes, we heard the voice from the shadow of a figure that said come.

You see, just as we were new to this neighborhood, so was the new Salvation Army Major in town. He had just moved in across the street from us. Amazingly, just as some say of a tornado, his house had not been touched. Major Leonard had been calling out our names to us. Tom and Jerry, come! Come through the darkness. Come, for I know you are weary from all of the work of the night. Come, for I know you are in need. Come, for I can see your house and the devastation this storm has caused. Come, for I know you need rest and sleep and comfort. Come, for I have prepared a place for you. You have been faithful servants of God this evening. Come to my voice. Come, for I will give you drink and food and restoration.

So, we followed Major Leonard's voice. We came to him. We shared our lives with him. He shared food, drink and shelter and love and compassion and even some water to wash with. Yes, it was as if the voice of the Savior had called us out of the darkness to come. All that Major Leonard offered that evening restored both myself, Tom and even the Major. Yes, we were restored that evening and made ready.

We were made ready to serve in joy the following morning and the weeks to come. Restored to rescue the hungry, help build the homes of the needy and restored in the help Tom and I received in rebuilding our own home and our own lives in this new community. And we were restored to God through the guidance of Major Leonard. Restored and given a life-long friendship.

It was a tragic event. But after all of the work and rebuilding and the voice of one that beckoned us to "Come" we were given a passion and a calling to help those who are weary and carry heavy burdens in the name of Jesus Christ, the ONE who teaches us to come and follow his voice.

Song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PANiveIKVX0

Prayer
Jesus, I hear your voice and your calling to come to you. May I listen to what you have to say. Use me and my hands and my voice and my feet to beckon all who are weary and carry heavy burdens to come to you... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: